France's wine country


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne » Reims
June 6th 2008
Published: June 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PoppiesPoppiesPoppies

I picked these for Jackie on the side of the road. They are everywhere. She did this self-portrait.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Travel day… Beaune, France to Troyes, France
Today we were in no hurry to get up or to drive off. I had a good internet connection in the morning and used it to check on what’s needed to cross the Channel to England. We found the site for booking space for our car and went ahead and picked the time. We will be on the 9:50am train. We have to be there 30 minutes ahead so we’ll have to get up a little early on Saturday morning to drive over from Arras, France.
I decided that I had to have something for breakfast other than the usual hotel breakfast. So, we walked into the village and soon spotted a restaurant that had omelets on the menu posted in chalk outside. That’s more like it, I thought. So, we entered and soon found that they only had coffee and croissants. The omelets were for dinner only…go figure. So, we had coffee. We forgot to say “no milk” so we got white coffee. It was okay.
Then we left to head back to the hotel. Soon, we came across another place that did have omelets. So, we stopped again
ChablisChablisChablis

Tom's tasting chablis, in Chablis
and ate. It was great.
After breakfast, we checked out and loaded the car for another cross country drive. I love the car so whenever we are required to drive a couple of hours, I’m happy.
As we made our way north, we found that there were more vineyards west of our route in the area of Chablis. So, just after we passed Dijon, we reprogrammed Greta to take us to Chablis, rather than Troyes. It added about 15 minutes to our route but it was worth it. We had room reservations at Troyes so we would go there after we visited the Chablis wineries.
Once in Chablis, we were surrounded by hundreds of vineyards and wineries. The highlight was for us to discover what was meant by the term “Cave” in wine country. We had seen it often but assumed that it just meant wine cellar. It is that but more. It is really a cave.
At least at a couple of the stops we made we entered a small door and walked down into what seemed to be a subterranean tunnel. Of course, it is the cave. The first we visited has been used for wine storage since 1600! We tasted some wonderful Chablis and always purchased at least one bottle at each stop. We plan to drink some of this when we arrive at Pete’s house in Romsey.
As we were walking around in Chablis we spotted a beautiful little produce market. We purchased about a pound of some of the best cherries that we have ever tasted. We ended up making some crackers, cherries, and wine our lunch. It was a nice change from our usual routine.
We went on from Chablis to Troyes. It was about 45 miles north. During this drive we went through some of the most beautiful farm country. Everywhere you looked for miles and miles you could see pastures and cultivated fields. Upon arrival about 3:30pm, we checked into another Best Western, the Hotel de la Poste. It is in the middle of town but had parking arrangements for us.
We decided it was time to do laundry. We asked at the desk if a laundromat was available in the area. The clerk had to have some help to understand this request and asked her supervisor to join her. After much discussion, they understood and soon were able to do an internet search and find one about one mile away.
Fortunately, we were able to drive over and do two loads. Hooray! We were out of clean clothes. So, now we will not stink up the place when we arrive in Romsey.
After doing our laundry, we headed out for dinner. Just adjacent to the hotel is a nice pizza place and that sounded good to me. Once again, there were no menus in English but the waitress knew just enough to help us understand what we were ordering. Jackie had her usual caprice salad and I had a pizza. My pizza came and it looked great to me but surprised Jackie. It had the usual beef and cheese and tomato paste but it also had an egg right in the center. It seems that the egg cooks as the pizza is baked. I loved it. It reminded me of the burgers that I ate in New Zealand with the egg on top.
That’s it for Thursday. We are now in the room and watching CNN. We have BBC, also. This is more than we’ve had in most of our stops.
See you next time.
Tom



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The produce marketThe produce market
The produce market

We bought the best cherries that we've ever had here.
Name this regionName this region
Name this region

Chablis was everywhere..


6th June 2008

it sounds wonderful
Everyday has more fun stories and adventure. I love reading, keep posting. Love, JJ
6th June 2008

Fruits of glory
Now you know that I am just in a panic looking at all those wonderful fruits etc that we DON'T get in Jamaica. Cheers guys!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb