Market day


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Vendome
April 22nd 2011
Published: April 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The anticipation for our first market day experience was high. It is only once a week here on a Friday and we've been waiting all week. We did a smallish shop for the basics at the local supermarket but left most of the fresh stuff for Friday. We even set our alarm to get up quite a few hours earlier than the recent 11am wakenings. We were a bit anxious it might not be on given it was Good Friday but was reassured by all the traffic noise on waking and people scurrying along the streets with their carts and baskets.

The range and displays of food were impressive. Especially the seafood and cheeses. Most of the seafood looked like it came straight from the water - huge whole fish, all kinds of shellfish in their craggy shells complete with bits of seaweed attached. The cheeses were mostly goats cheese covered in an ashy type mould so not the most attractive but a local specialty apparently. The vegetables were mostly familiar with the exception of the giant white asparagus.

The crowd was busy and chatty (to each other -we're far from that stage) and we were taking it all in deciding what to buy. We wanted bread, cheese, veggies, and some meat but then.... I got stage fright and walked away with nothing!!! What a let down. What a chicken. I'd been getting by with my very limited french in the shops - just. But the markets suddenly seemed a bit to daunting with the level of interaction needed and knowledge of numbers higher than 10. The supermarket was looking like a much more attractive option now.

It was still a fun experience and I've come away with some phrases I need to learn.

After tea today we explored the ruins of Vendomes castle which had a great view over the town.

The last few days have been relaxing and rejuvenating after the full on week in NY, jetlag, and not to mention the hectic and jammed packed social month in NZ prior to leaving. The girls have been writing their blogs (search for them under bloggers on this site), and we've been catching up on emails and skyping (please let us know your skype details if you want to skype us - we're flexible and available over the next couple of weeks). Although we haven't yet found the time for school work. The girls are arguing its still school holidays.

Life here is such a contrast to NY - doves cooing and church bells ringing all day long vs traffic horns and sirens, adequate vs outlandish portion sizes in restuarants, basic quality food vs processed, and my skin returned to normal the very first day here!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Its a steep hill to the castleIts a steep hill to the castle
Its a steep hill to the castle

Need an icecream break


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb