Our first Chateau


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Amboise
April 23rd 2011
Published: April 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Chenonceau from opposite riverbankChenonceau from opposite riverbankChenonceau from opposite riverbank

Diane de Poitiers (the kings mistriss) actually designed and ordered this part of the castle
The Loire is literally littered with chateaux. We were not wanting to get castle fatigue and decided two might be sufficient to visit. To make the best informed choice we visited Parc de Mini-Chateaux where they have scale (1/25) models of the top 44 chateaux in the area. They were even laid out geographically correct with the Loire and other rivers running through. It was all very well done although in need of a bit of maintenance - like some real life castles I'd suspect. There was a hedge labyrinth which the girls had fun racing around in.

So we came away with an agreed list of three. Then ten minutes later we found ourselves queuing for entry tickets to a castle not on the list. Well it had been on the short list prior to the final cut and when we realised how close it was we thought we'd do a drive by. There was no driving by this one as it was surrounded by river and forest. The closest point to it was the car park which looked like the Auckland weekend car sale having a special on motorhomes and buses. Despite the crowds we thought seeing as we were there we might as well go in. And we were pleased we did. It was spectacular.

It was chateau Chenonceau - the one spanning the river. What impressed the most was the garden, river and forest setting, the kitchen fully kitted out for large scale catering, the detail in every furnishing or surface, the beautiful Easter flower arrangements throughout and how well cared for and displayed every room was. It even felt quite homely considering its size. Even though there must have been at least a thousand visitors there, it wasn't to unbearable as we were spread out over a huge space. It would be a nightmare in peak season though.

The girls are still behaving beautifully, getting on great, and we're all having heaps of fun and laughs every day. Fantastic! We must take these adventures more often!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Kings girlfriends roomKings girlfriends room
Kings girlfriends room

My favourite room. Had a nice feel, great art and lots of love symbolism. the bed was surprisingly small.
Widows roomWidows room
Widows room

second favourite room. Very dark and heaps of grieving symbolism
Catherine De MediciCatherine De Medici
Catherine De Medici

this was her castle after kicking out the girlfriend after her husband died


Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb