My First Discoteque Experience


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Tours
January 29th 2010
Published: January 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last night we went to our first discoteque called xcalibar. We walk by it almost everyday because it’s in Place Plume, and it looked pretty sweet, so we decided to check it out because we don’t have class Fridays. (eeeee!) Sadly, it was not as sweet as it looked. Annie, Denise, Sarah, and I went around 12:30 (you’re really not supposed to anywhere early in France) we paid our 8 euros to get in, only to go down the stairs and find approximately five people there. But, we decided to stick it out for a while. Eventually more people came and we had fun with each other, although we probably will not be going back. After endlessly requesting Lady Gaga to the DJ (and having him play Bad Romance for us, but then played Beyoncé’s VideoPhone, instead of the Lady’s Telephone...significantly worse), we decided that it was time to go.

When we had gone to bathroom earlier (on the other side of the discoteque than the entrance) I had seen “sortie” (exit) signs, so I lead our little group to the door, where we walked up this cobblestone path, only to find ourselves basically in an enclosed ally. It was kind of like a courtyard—with buildings on three sides of us, and then probably a ten foot fence keeping us from the road where people were walking by from time to time. Whoops. So we go back to the door we came out, not only to find that it locked behind us, but that didn’t even have a doorknob. Whoops. Emergency exits should really be better marked. We began banging on the door, but there was really no hope of anyone hearing us because the music was so loud.

After joking about having to spend the night there, I decided that the fence wouldn’t actually be too difficult to climb. And it wasn’t. It was the kind of gate that was a bunch of vertical cast iron-ish bars, with 2 horizontal cross bars—one 3 feet up from the ground and the other another 3 feet up from that—perfect for slightly large steps. So I convinced Sarah to climb over with me (I wasn’t going to wind up on the other side who knows where by myself) and it was fairly easy to reach the top—except once I was straddling the fence and Sarah was halfway up, the bouncer from the club came over and started yelling at us in French to get down! Even though it would have been just as easy for me to go down the right side at this point, I hopped back with my friends, sadly ripping my pants on the top of the pointy fence in the process (although I think it’s reparable.) Then the bouncer reached through the fence, locating a secret button on the side, which just caused the entire gate to open. Why didn’t we think of looking for a secret button!?!? I think the bouncer guy tried to say something to us, but we just kind of walked away in the opposite direction of him—really no harm was done (except to my pants). Oh, and we found out that that gate was right next to the entrance.

We laughed for almost the entirety of our walk home (intermittent with some of my complaints about my pants…)


Advertisement



31st January 2010

Discoteques aren't all what they seem to be!
At least this discoteque wasn't the coolest one. So sorry about your pants. I can't believe you guys were trapped in the courtyard! Good thinking to climb out! I'm glad you are safe! Keep up the humorous stories! I'm glad you're sticking with your friends through all of this.
31st January 2010

hahaha
i can literally picture every second of this going on. your life is the coolest. =]
7th February 2010

ha ha! Hilarious as promised. Your stories are AMAZING! I'm also impressed with your mad climbing and biking skillz. I'm so glad we got to talk tonight! Tu me manques!

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb