Another gorgeous day in the Loire Valley, this time with a visit to Chinon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Chinon
June 11th 2022
Published: June 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

An absolutely excellent idea to visit Chinon, too delightful a town to be missed and really surprised that we have managed to miss it out up to now, given the many weeks, months even we have spent in France over the years.

The sky was cornflower blue when we woke and stayed that way all day. Summer has arrived with a vengeance. No hesitation risking suntop on a day like this.

We took the road north of the Loire to Saumur, the way we came back yesterday so we got a good view across the river to the castle and then a little further along crossed the Loire and came to the River Vienne which Chinon sits on. The drive was about an hour but so pleasant and such lovely weather. We had to cross the Loire to get to the south bank someway past Saumur and this was a really narrow metal girdered bridge which became tricky when a motorhome decided it needed to be right across the line never mind what was coming towards it. A tight squeeze. Along the Vienne we started to see vineyards proper and then more of the mushroom caves built into the banks.

We came to Chinon across a bridge from the south of the river and the view across the water is superb. Towering above the town is the castle which, as well as being high above the town seems to stretch the length of it. We found a parking spot on the road along the river and found the parking machine said parking was free for first two hours so decided to risk any overstay. The northern bank of the river is lined by massive trees which provide a lovely shady walk, welcome on such a hot day.

Chinon is filled with historic buildings, entire streets of centures old wonderful structures, many labelled as hotels and we had to keep turning round to see the view behind as well as in front as we walked along the narrow steets. Above us the castle dominated the view.

There was a very large 'eating' area in the main square as we entered the old town but everywhere looked so very busy that we found a quieter road, which we think was the originall main thoroughfair, and stopped for a slightly odd lunch at a winebar. Veloute. One of white asparagus, the other mushroom served in the jar it came in but warm and some bread to dip. Could have managed a bit more bread but couldn't quite be bothered to get up to ask for more !

Back to the main square where at the back we had seen signs to the free lift up to the castle. The lift was indeed free but only went halfway up. The rest of the way seemed quite a steep climb given it was 26 degrees at this point And we were up nearer to the sun ?. Blood thinners don't help going up hills either ?.

We paid for the entrance to the castle hopeful of an 'old age' discount but needed to be disabled for that and we are fortunately not ?
There was a rather good exhibition in one of the towers depicting reality and fantasy where genuine artifacts are displayed beside others fabricated for famous films. The views down to the town were the 'icing on the cake' as it were of the castle visit. Superb views across the grey tiled rooftops and in such a miscellany of shapes and sizes. Wonderful. Beyond the rooftops, views to and across the river. It was well worth that short climb up from the lift and we did have the lift to take up back down again.

Stopped in the main square for a drink. In my case a coffee and icecream concoction which served as both refreshing drink and icecream.
So back along the river, under the lovely shade of the trees and to Smart Arse. We had way exceeded our two hours but no parking ticket so that was OK.

Another pleasant drive back the way we came via Saumur. Sunday tomorrow and a lot of shops shut then so we decided to stop at the local supermarket for a couple of things, mainly liquid ! We stopped at the Cocci market in Brain near the campsite but useless,,, fruit juice only orange, beer selection incredibly limited so we headed for the Super U we had seein when we had first arrived. Ooops petrol only. No problem. Google maps found me a supermarket and directed us to left hand turns which were not there, just across fields which must have been fields for Ever. We did find the supermarket after a while in the next village along but Google Maps needed a slapping for how it got us there. Actually it totally failed and Bob had to ask Tomtom which was much better !
Much better choice to in this much bigger supermarket and we are now well stocked with water, milk, juice, wine and beer. We haven't shopped since we came and still have several meals in the store cupboard, fridge / freezer but one day soon we will need to do a proper shop. Have to have plenty of time for that as a proper French supermarket shop is an event to be savoured. ? I particularily enjoy the pudding selection to see what deliciousness has been added to the shelves since our last visit ?

We move on tomorrow. Further south to La Rochelle but not a long drive so no need to load Smartie onto the trailer until morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb