last day of May, we think


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy
May 31st 2012
Published: June 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

early morning on the canalearly morning on the canalearly morning on the canal

near Rochefort sur Nenon
we seemed to have escaped the mosquitos, Toni and I were up early and walked the dogs up to the next village and back and by then Rob and Terry were up so Rob and I went into Rocheforte sur Nenon to buy a baguette and hiked up to an overview of the river which was spectacular (see photo), walked by a small sawmill furniture builder too. got back to Armida for breakfast and somehow we forgot that May had 31 days and for most of the day thought we were in June, duh? we headed up the river for a few miles and at the last lock encountered a problem Rob had not experienced before, seems two small boats (see the photos) had entered the lock and either left at the same time or because they were so small that when they left the sensor for the gate closing system wouldn't close, we had to tie up and Rob found an emergency phone to call the operator who showed up in 20 minutes to close the gate and allow it fill so we could then enter. we motored up a few kilometers but decided there was no point so then turned around and came back to where we had moored last night and Harry and Jill were there and they invited us over for some wine and stories, interesting couple who cruise with their canal boat, drive their fifth wheel around the states and live in Cornwall the rest of the time. we said our good byes and returned to Dole to catch up on the world with the internet available at Cafe Charles (where I uploaded several days of this blog), Toni and Terry went into town to buy some food for tonight's dinner and soon we were enjoying some chicken and salad and wine. Toni and I decided that since we were so close to Switzerland and renting and driving a car seems less fun than taking the train somewhere we decided to hop down to Lausanne. early to bed for a pack up and leave tomorrow morning to catch the 10 am train.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

overview of the Douboverview of the Doub
overview of the Doub

we couldn't figure out if the weir was natural or man made
here comes a Hotelhere comes a Hotel
here comes a Hotel

staying on one of these costs around $6K a week
rank of canal boatsrank of canal boats
rank of canal boats

Rob said he'd never seen one as small as the first one and these two were the ones responsible for our problems earlier in the day


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb