Checking out Dole and cruising the Doub River and canal


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy
May 30th 2012
Published: May 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a restful night in the captain's chambers aboard Armida, we woke, took showers and enjoyed a bright blue sky and sunny morning . . . what day is it? Oh yes, Wednesday. Rob, Terry, Toni and I walked into Dole to see the cathedral, the birthplace of Pasteur and found a luthier (Italian, with relatives in Dole), Canova Roberto who was playing his mandola-guitar. We exchanged pleasantris and he let me play it, I told him I'd be back to show him my mandolin but unfortunately we never came back to town. We found the cafe where we thought we'd be able to connect to the internet but it was not to be. We agreed that it would be nice to head up river and see what we could find. After one lock we found the most beautiful location with sycamores overhanging the river and tied up to a wharf and enjoyed lunch. After a few hours of leisure we headed up river further to Rochefort Sur Nenon and tied up at a public wharf across from the falls (which I know has some great fishing . . . . for that matter I saw some huge brown trout in the water canals of Dole but no one was fishing!) If I was Rob I'd have a fly rishing rod at the ready all the time. We walked into town which was mostly closed; saw the children at play but the market was closed on Wednesday (huh?) but the auberge will open for dinner. Back to the boat and enjoy some bubbly and conversation and I toyed around on the mandolin, it rained a little and cooled off. There are some noisy frogs, a few mosquitos and the local bicycles passing by. No internet connection! But Rob says he has cell connectivity so if the world ends we hope somebody calls him.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lilou and RoseyLilou and Rosey
Lilou and Rosey

the best canal dogs on the planet
waterways of Dolewaterways of Dole
waterways of Dole

the Pasteurs were tanners
Craig admiring the canalCraig admiring the canal
Craig admiring the canal

overhead Sycamores protect us from the sun as we pull up to a dock to have lunch


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb