To the Côte de Granit Rose


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
September 23rd 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had to share Yves and Claudine this morning! A rather lovely young Italian couple joined us for breakfast, however, they did leave early so we ended up with some ‘quality time’ with Yves and Claudine after all! In fact, it was nearly lunchtime before we hit the road.

We picked up a couple of sandwichs (and cakes) en route to Gwin Zégal, a spot we had seen featured on the SBS’s Global Village French Coastlines series. It’s just a small harbour with timber mooring-posts sticking out of the water for about four dozen boats. We sat up on the hill, eating our lunch looking over the harbour. It was so beautiful that we decided to see if there was a path down to the water. There was – a steep one! It was well worth it though, to find the small beach and boat ramp, tucked in under the cliffs. It was hard to leave, despite getting rained on and we were so grateful to have the place all to ourselves.

The Sillon de Talbert (also featured on Global Village) was a little difficult to find – mainly because we missed the roadsign! Formed by the tidal currents from the rivers Trieux and Jaudy, the Sillon is a 35 metre (or so) wide spit of land extending 3 km out to sea. It has been an important source of shellfish and seaweed since at least the 13th century. Sadly, by the time we found it, we only had a little time to explore.

We then drove post-haste to Port de Ploumenac’h on the Côte de Granit Rose and were delighted with what we found. Our room in the Hôtel des Rochers overlooks the delightful small harbour. It was the first time we’ve ever been able to lie in bed and watch the boats coming and going! We had dinner in the hotel restaurant (again with the view!). The food was excellent (in fact, it’s been consistently good throughout Bretagne) and once again, there were free appetizers – this time, two!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Gwin ZégalGwin Zégal
Gwin Zégal

Waves converging


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb