About my area....


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Auvergne » Vichy
October 1st 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't been writing, but Ive been getting settled, and setting up necessary things (like phone, room, etc). Ive got my Internet and phone set up, so I can cross some things off the long to do list. Its hard to believe I've only been here for one week! There are tons of events and activities and usually there is someone around. I was hanging out with the Mexicans and Spaniards last night for some drinks, which was fun. I have a definite buddy in this Finnish girl Sanna, she is very nice and up for doing things. There are all sorts events for the CAVILAM students here, and we can join in, like movie nights, wine tastings and day trips. I have kinda got everyone on to taking a yoga class en francais and the girls seem interested, its in town and kinda expensive, but a good way to meet other people, practice some french and burn off all those french food calories. Speaking of day trips, I plan to go to Clermont-Ferrand on Saturday with some other students. Its a majour hub for the area, with my uni's main campus. It also happens to be in a volcanic area (extinct volcanoes) and is the head quarters for Michelin tires and Volvic mineral water. I will take the opportunity to savour some cuisine à la L'Auvergne (my region in France). Gastrofacts: France has over 340 types of cheese and even more wines. Depending on your area, there are local delicacies, such a sausages in the north and sea food in the south. Vichy in the Val D'Allier, along the Allier river (which is quite big). It happens to be one of the few rivers that still has salmon (which is caught and sold locally) and other cool fish, like eels! You can see a lot of river action if you look down for five minutes around dusk. We are in a hilly region, nestled in the valley bowl that borders the river, with hills on either side. There are numerous spas here, and public celestins (water sources). There are two glassed in Sources des Celestins in Centre Ville, where you can sample and drink the waters and Vichy water, a slightly bitter and fizzy mineral water that is sold around France. The waters aren't much to write home about though, they are warm (35°C-40°C) and taste kinda like bath water, but they are supposed to be healing and very good for the skin! There are many doctors around here, and thanks to France's generous social services, many old people who relocate from the north to the warmer and supposedly healing parts here. The Hotel de Ville (city hall, not a hotel, despite hotels being called hotels here) is a fantastically elaborate and was the center of command for the Vichy government (location chosen do to access to hotel rooms and telephones as opposed to regional affiliations). The town has approx 26000 people, with a total of 78000 in the surrounding areas. The town is expansive, but you can walk everywhere without dying of exhaustion, which is very nice.

The food, it is to die for! Besides the daily farmers markets, artisan bakers and local butchers, Auvergne is known for its full bodied wines and cheeses, with a warm musky taste of the central country side. A little market is open most days of the week around the corner from my res and farmers sell courgettes, squash, greens, beans and a host of freshly picked wild mushrooms at good prices. Our cafeteria serves up great lunches for 2€80, which include, get this, a carafe of water, yes a carafe, a ficelle (small baguette) a cheese course, premier entree/aperitif course, entree, and two desserts. Its good food, nothing to fancy, but this week we had, chicken wrapped in deli meats, roast beef, salmon, pasta and one more day to come! Bouillabaisse and coq d'Auvergne are big around here, and oysters can be bought in Clermont in the french style, (raw on a half shell, served in months ending in 'r') for 8€50. Cheese is an essential item here, it goes in and with everything. I bought wine glasses today, so I can savour my vin de soir properly. My stomach has been totally cool with everything I give it. And, for some reason, the french food feels nourishing, not tasty or necessary, but it feels good all over your body and your taste buds ignite with every other dish you try. It is so beautiful here, and timeless, and it will be impossible to leave this behind for Hamilton.


Advertisement



14th October 2006

What about Ernest?
Celestins

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb