Further East to the Dordogne with a visit to Sarlat market


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Sarlat-la-Caneda
September 14th 2011
Published: September 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another early start – quite unusual for us as after all we are on holiday ! Wanted to see if we could get to Sarlat market en route to our next campsite and for that we knew we needed to be early to find a parking spot.
We were up and away by 9.30 and in Sarlat by 10. As we approached the town we spotted a sign for a camping-car aire so drove in and parked. It did cost us €5 as we were there for longer than 2 hours (which would have been free) but better than trying to park elsewhere along with the other 100s of vehicles with the same aim.
It was a 10 minute walk down to the centre and as usual (we’ve visited Sarlat several times) our visit was a delight. Sarlat really does have an incredible market and certainly better than any other we have found in France. The wonderful location helps of course as Sarlat is such an attractive town.
Obviously an awful lot of people agreed with us as the town was heaving with visitors. We bought some lovely fresh vegetables from the market and then splashed out and bought a painting (OK not an original but very nice it is too) from an artist’s shop we spotted in a courtyard.
By now we were rather laden down with our shopping so after picking up some quiche from a nice boulangerie and stopping for a coffee, we headed back up what was suddenly a much steeper hill than we had come down, to the Tandy. The quiches were delicious especially served with the cherry tomatoes we brought from the greenhouse at home and which are still keeping well.
Next stop E.Leclerc for a restock of the larder and fridge. Now got enough food to see us home.
And so to our campsite, La Bouysse de Caudon, right on the banks of the Dordogne river, near Vitrac. An excellent, very peaceful site and we have a big pitch with enough room to swing a tiger. We spent the rest of the afternoon by and in the lovely pool and then after tea walked a little way along the river. We will stay here for another couple of days, as plenty of places to visit on the scooter and the weather forecast is excellent with temperatures in the 30s and lots of wonderful sunshine.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



16th September 2011

Yes this was a wonderful place and the market is oh so good. Can you remember we visited with you. Very envious would love to go back there. Still Canterbury calls this week - really looking forward to our week in a Motorhome.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb