The Geese and the Golden City


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
September 15th 2009
Published: September 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

9/4/09 - Sarlat, France

The drive to Sarlat in the Dordogne was fairly short and the countryside green and lush dotted with sun-kissed gold stone chateaus and cottages. Sarlat was to be our base for 3 days while we explored the region. This area is known for goose liver pate and fois gras.  We saw tons of geese farms on our way in to town and I made Andrew stop and take pictures. We found brochures in our tour books from 1999 which is when we started thinking about going to Sarlat and the Dordogne. Andrew bought me a big picture book from the area many years ago and we have been wanting to go ever since.

We found a lovely campground (Pierre) that was only a 10 min. walk downhill to the medieval village. We couldn’t wait to get on our bikes and head into town. Cobbled streets welcome you into the no-car zoned town. You are surrounded with stone building and churches with stone roofs. The quaint town center was large and surrounded a gold and wooden adorned church. There were cafes everywhere and outside seating with people enjoying their afternoon cocktails and doing some great people watching.

We walked around the city and looked in all of the shops many selling the local specialties of wine, fois gras, duck confit, truffle mushrooms, walnut products and cheeses. All was very expensive! We did get to try some fois gras which was yummy. Andrew doesn’t get all of the excitement.

We decided to treat ourselves to a night out for dinner in Sarlat so we combed through the many restaurant menus and found something that looked mouthwatering. Andrew had a mushroom omelette as an appetizer, lamb as a main course and sugared strawberries for desert. I went for the fois gras appetizer, duck pieces in a truffle sauce and the regional favorite - walnut cake. Mine was delicious but Andrew’s lamb was not up to New Zealand standards. It was a great night and the wine was incredible. We rode our bike back up the hill and went to bed early by French standards at 10:30 pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



15th September 2009

ahhhhhh
to quote Tina Fey, "I want to go to there."

Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb