France 88 - Bordeaux , lamb on skewers and slow service , parked on the overflow car park by choice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
September 14th 2015
Published: September 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Heavy Rain Le Village du lac Bordeaux Day 3 and still in France

The heavy overnight rain did stop by the morning but it was still dull and overcast with little blue to be seen in the sky. It felt a wet and soggy British style Autumn morning. Where has the sun gone after our first taste of it in Neufchatel? We sat round a while as we did not want to set off too early and tried to make use of the free WiFi . After a few abortive attempts I gave up. There is a limit to how many times you try to load a page up. Eventually we set off heading for Bordeaux where hopefully the weather would become more holiday like. We were not looking forward to our next site as we had used it before and not enjoyed it but it was the only one between here and the Basque country. The next crop of ACSI sites were too far away and we failed to find any decent aires close to where we wanted to be. So whether we liked it or not it was going to be Camping Village La Lac.

All the way the sky looked like a sea of grey with swirling dirty threatening clouds overhead. The rain came. It was as if we had angered the sea gods and they were whipping up every litre of water they could find and throw it down upon us. The traffic almost came to a standstill , the gutters ran like rivers and all the drivers were using their hazard warning lights. It felt endless and it was with great relief we got to the end of it and into just a gentle shower.

At lunch we realised we had not spotted the Greater Spotted Wee Frenchman this time around heading for the trees to do his number one rather than use the toilets. Nor had we seen the Lesser Spotted son being taught the same habit copying his dad and going for a pee in the bushes. We did’nt have to wait long before we saw him standing there in all his glory, ignoring everyone else and without any shame stopped and did his wee up a tree. Perhaps I should feel pleased that he didn’t go into the bushes armed with his toilet paper to do a number two. We crossed the mighty Dordogne over one of the many magnificent bridges and found the industrial park with the now closed Velodrome. The area had a sense of dereliction as the parking grounds were growing weeds and didn’t look as if a car had parked there for years. There was however signs of bikes for hire, cars for hire at 39 euro a day and a new tram service.

Camping Village du Lac – what can I say? It is sprawling but has few camping spots . Most of the park has been given over to bungalows which no doubt bring in more lucrative pickings. I went in, paid for a plot for the night and was given the map with instructions to go either side of the lakes but probably avoid one side due to the noise from a wedding party who would be arriving later that afternoon. The first area which was closest to the wedding party had room for 34 caravans or motorhomes. The side we chose had spaces for 42 but almost every one was taken. Even the roads were filled with vans. The only plots we found turned out not to be plots or were too wet to park on. They were tiny with overhanging trees, bollards and large boulders preventing easy access. The site felt like Butlins at the height of the holiday season. Too many people for us, a muggy and oppressive site and pitch. In the end after trying to park up I looked at the map and spied the Zone D’Attente camping car. No idea what it was but we went to take a look. We found hard standing with a few vans already there. It had electricity but no water but looked more like us. When I asked reception if we could move we were told no it was for late comers and used when the camp was full. But it is full?????!!!!!!!! In the end another receptionist agreed with a smile that if we preferred it we could go there and still use the facilities on site. Which we did . The shop was well stocked and on a good day the swimming pool would have been lovely. Today it was too cold.

We booked a meal at the restaurant at night . On arrival we were Billy No Mates all on our own but gradually it filled up. Not to capacity though. Some sat out of the verandah . We went inside as it was a touch cool and the frogs kept appearing under the tables where we would have sat. It was an interesting experience as firstly we were brought a chair and upon it was placed the wine list . The cheapest bottle 20 euros and the most expensive 38 euros. We were awash with wine and decided that we only wanted a glass rather than a bottle . Big mistake as we were to find out later. The menu arrived and we had the choice of three courses at 23 euros or 2 courses at 21 euros. Again we chose the smaller menu and picked lamb kebabs with bell peppers and fried potatoes . By the time they arrived we had neighbours who bought 3 bottles of very expensive wine. The waiters attention was no longer on us skinflints but on our neighbours who were having the most expensive things they could see on the menu. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the vegetables cooked beautifully. So far so good. This had taken over an hour from when we arrived to when the empty plates were taken from our table. We had to wait for the menu whilst the next table and one outside got their meals and we waited and waited . We felt grey. You know that sort of feeling that you don’t exist , that you are invisible. Eventually the waiter arrived and we ordered desserts . After 25 minutes they had not arrived and finally the waiter realised that we had been forgotten – 2 mins he apologised and then turned up with two very nicely presented puddings. Both with summer fruits, both with some kind of cream with a thickness of cold custard and one with ice cream , mine with meringue. They were worth waiting for but we were glad to get out to pay. Of course guess what happened to us next . Presented the Caxton Card , tried the PIN got it wrong , tried again got it wrong again so had to give up. Went back to the van and the one thing we hadn’t thought about was that with the new card had come a new PIN and we being old and decrepit had forgotten that they had changed the PIN. Now tomorrow armed with the new PIN the damn thing should work.

A good night apart from the rat tat tat of the rain. A bit of noise from the road and from some of our neighbours but all in all a better night than we could have expected on the main campsite . I forgot the peeping of the horns of the wedding party. 50 cars all honking in a tune to welcome the happy couple . Made us smile . I found out why the french put moustaches on knickers - to tickle your fancy .

Tomorrow Spain and the Basque country .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb