Fantastic day!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

What a beautiful day today in Bordeaux. It was very hot but very interesting, fun and active. We started the day by hopping on the bicycles and riding the short distance to the market to buy cheese. We bought 5 varieties and then walked around the market a bit but it was not a market day so it wasn't very busy and some of the vendors were not there. But, still, it was a delightful French market all the same. We came home and visited for a while and then hopped into the car and drove out to the Chateau du Smith Haut Lafitte. www.smith-haut-lafitte.com (I believe) Beautiful buildings and at this chateau they have a restaurant, hotel and spa which specializes in "vinotherapy" (Try Googling that!) We had a lovely lunch and then we came home for a short "sieste". After the nap we got back on the bikes and rode all over Bordeaux. Thank heavens it's a very flat city! So we rode around along the Garonne River and saw many of the sights of the city. After about 2 hours of sight-seeing we were invited for an "apero" (aperitif) with some new friends of my hosts. So, for 2.5 hours we drank 2 bottles of champagne the real thing!) - one regular and one rosé - and nibbled on jambon (ham), a variety of chorizo sausage from Spain where the hosts also have a house, some paté, some crackers with tartines des legumes (vegetable spreads) and some olives. At around 10:30 we jumped back and our bikes and rode home....no small feat on cobblestone lanes, pedestrian lanes and narrow roads after 2 bottles of champagne! Also, I may have had more than my fair share of the champagne as I spent most of the time listening and trying to understand the conversation instead of talking! My French will improve as my trip continues. Now, I am going to try to upload a few photos and then get to bed. I am almost finished with the jet lag! à demain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st July 2008

Sounds Amazing....
Can't wait to read more about this wonderful adventure......
2nd July 2008

Soon!!!
Soon is not quick enoufg for me. wonderful photos and the chateau de vous amis looks lovely( Is that correct??) It is too pretty to be a maison.. ( I hope there will be some Champagne left for Friday night. XXXOOO Mom

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb