Strassbourg again!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Santa RiverSanta RiverSanta River

Ten points to whoever tells me what river this is!
It is always nice to visit a city after 11 years and to see not much has changed. Strassbourgh has had so many visitors since I was there with the exchange program in 1997 and has had so many more visitors long before.
The Muenster Cathedral is perhaps the most famous landmark. It was constructed in the 13th century!
We were travelling with cousins from Turkey and I have to say that I was releived that they didn't want to stop at another Christmas market.
The Christmas market is found in Germany and the surrounding borders. Every year the same people come back and set up shops in quaint little booths. What is funny is that all of the products and food is exactly the same whever you travel to.
I was quite pleased that the Gluehwein was far better than Mannheim's. Leave it to the French!
If you plan on travelling to Strassbourg, make sure you research the restaurants and make a reservation.
We found a place with no wait, decent food, but terrible service.
Try the Quiche Lorraine, it is a Strassbourgh specialty. Riesling is quite good there, too.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Good to be backGood to be back
Good to be back

This part of town was called Le Petit France.
The old townThe old town
The old town

In olden times, to enter this city, you needed to visit the watchtower and state your business.
Muenster CathedralMuenster Cathedral
Muenster Cathedral

I was here in 1997
Schön, so schön!Schön, so schön!
Schön, so schön!

They began construction just after 1200 AD.
OrganOrgan
Organ

I will let it speak for itself.
Inside MuensterInside Muenster
Inside Muenster

There are Knights burried here.
French Pastry ShopFrench Pastry Shop
French Pastry Shop

Best part about the local food!
Pedestrian friendly StrassbourgPedestrian friendly Strassbourg
Pedestrian friendly Strassbourg

It was easy to get around but a little confusing to find the way.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb