Strasbourg, France


Advertisement
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
November 10th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kate and I had the opportunity to visit Strasbourg a few weeks ago. For a town that is over 2000 years old (the first mention of this city dates back to 12 B.C.), Strasbourg looked extremely well preserved. The old town is located on an island, which is surrounded by beautiful rivers and canals. Strasbourg sits at the confluence of the Bruche and Ill rivers and it sits across the Rhine River from ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tour BoatTour Boat
Tour Boat

A great way to see the city of Strasbourg.
LockLock
Lock

One of the two main locks that control the canals of Strasbourg.
The Vauban Barrage (Dam)The Vauban Barrage (Dam)
The Vauban Barrage (Dam)

Where the Ill River enters Strasbourg. Built between 1686 to 1700, the barrage (dam) with a lock that would make it possible to inudate the waterways of Strasbourg in the event of a siege. The area above the barrage consists of many rooms with old stone carvings just gathering dust.
St. ThomasSt. Thomas
St. Thomas

The protestant (since 1524) Saint Thomas church is a beautiful example of Alsatian Gothic art.The mausoleum of the Marshall of Saxony by Pigalle (1777)is a highlight of this soaring Gothic rib church. Albert Schweitzer - a brilliant organist among his other talents - had taken the initiative of organizing commemorative concerts of the death of Jean-Sebastian Bach there and the tradition perpetuates itself today. Another interesting feature in this church is the large organ case of Jean-Andre Silbermann. On the organ console is a sign, Mozart touched the keys in 1778". Sort of a French version of Washington slept here.
Hello there!Hello there!
Hello there!

The tombstone of Nicolas Roeder (1510)is located in St. Thomas in an area where as you come across the Marshall of Saxony mausoleum you cross through this doorway and, all of a sudden, old Nicolos is just standing there.
Offenburg Street SnakeOffenburg Street Snake
Offenburg Street Snake

On our visit to Strasbourg we stayed in Offenburg, just on the German side of the Rhine. While walking through I saw this girl just sitting there and thought it might be a good picture.



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 17; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb