Trier, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
October 15th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Porta Nigra (Black Gate)Porta Nigra (Black Gate)Porta Nigra (Black Gate)

Trier's most famous landmark. The gate was built in the last third of the 2nd century and was the northern gate of the city walls, which originally were 6.4 km (approx. 4 miles) long.

According to medieval legend, ‘Before Rome, Trier stood one thousand and three hundred years’. However, according to recorded history, Trier’s history begins around the middle of the first century B.C., when a guy by the name of Julius Caesar conquered Gaul (France, Belgium, Luxemburg and some portions of the Netherlands and Germany) in 51 B.C. and integrated the Moselle Region into the Roman Empire. Not only is Trier Germany’s oldest city, but also it was the “Rome of the North” and, in its heyday in the 4th century A.D., as important and splendid as Rome itself. Trier is still a great city to visit today.

In his De Situ Orbis, a description of the then known world, the 1st- century Roman geographer Pomponius Mela called it "urbs opulentissima"--the most opulent city--of the empire. It was from Trier that six Caesars, including Constantine the Great, governed their far-flung Western European realm and ruled over Britain, Gaul, and Spain.

Constantine the Great's Imperial Baths, the Kaiserthermen, with their network of hot and cold water basins, drying rooms, dining halls and forum, cover an area of more than 400,000 square feet-- large enough to accommodate four football fields. The Amphitheater, built
Hauptmarkt (Main Market)Hauptmarkt (Main Market)Hauptmarkt (Main Market)

The Hauptmarkt square forms the center of Trier's Old Town. It is the venue for what's happening in Trier. The tall tower just beyond the square is St. Gangolf's church founded in the 10th century.
in A.D. 100, has seating for 25,000. The Romerbrücke, a Roman bridge across the Moselle, was built nearly two millennia ago and its ancient pillars support modern traffic today. The 2nd- century Porta Nigra--Black Gate-- some 100 feet high and 120 feet wide, is the largest and most architecturally stunning city gate ever built in Europe and an impressive symbol of Roman might and power. Two hundred forty feet long, 94 feet wide, and 108 feet from floor to wood ceiling, the Aula Palatina, the palace and audience hall of Constantine I, Valentian I and Gratian, is second only to the Pantheon as the largest Roman public building to have survived the centuries. (And the answer is: Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude, and Justice.)

Trier is one of the wellsprings of Christianity (as one can see by the number of churches there) and the site of Rome's acceptance of Christianity as the state religion, due to the conversion of both Constantine the Great and his mother, St. Helena. Not only was St. Ambrose born there in 340, but also it is the repository of a very sacred relic--the Holy Shroud, believed to have been worn by Jesus on his way to
Entrance to St Gangolf'sEntrance to St Gangolf'sEntrance to St Gangolf's

This entrance leads to a very nice courtyard and then the church.
the Cross. It was brought to Trier by Helena from a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and is enshrined in the Petersdom, St. Peter's Cathedral. It is shown only every 30 years or so, the last time in 1996.

For those to whom history, architecture, art and ogling monuments are only half the pleasure of traveling, eating and drinking delights being the other, Trier also has plenty to offer. Situated in the heart of the Moselle-Saar-Ruwer wine district, it is virtually synonymous with the light dry whites of that region. They ripen in the vineyards on the surrounding hills, making the city a kind of mecca for serious imbibers, and also gourmets. We found the food to be great here and the portions much more than adequate. We also enjoyed a two-hour river cruise which we found to really appreciate the beauty of the area. All in all, Trier is a great place to visit and a place we would like to come to in the future.


Until our next voyage....










Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

St. Peter's Fountain (Petrusbrunnen)St. Peter's Fountain (Petrusbrunnen)
St. Peter's Fountain (Petrusbrunnen)

This beautiful fountain which sits in the Hauptmarkt was built in 1595. The four figures below him represent the four cardinal virtues. (Can you name them? The answer can be found in the text)
Market Cross (Marktkreuz)Market Cross (Marktkreuz)
Market Cross (Marktkreuz)

Erected in 958 to commemorate the granting of the right to hold markets.
St. Peter's Cathedral & the Church of Our LadySt. Peter's Cathedral & the Church of Our Lady
St. Peter's Cathedral & the Church of Our Lady

These two churches originate from a double church constructed in 326 under Emporer Constantine
Magnificent StoneworkMagnificent Stonework
Magnificent Stonework

The entrance to the Church or Our Lady has some of the most amazing stonework.
Breathtaking and Amazing!Breathtaking and Amazing!
Breathtaking and Amazing!

This beautiful cupola is located at the back of Trier's Cathedral. It is the most amazing architectural artwork, in terms of three dimensions, that I can recall every seeing.
View of the Mosel River ValleyView of the Mosel River Valley
View of the Mosel River Valley

Trier is the center of the local winegrowing region and produces some of the most outstanding wines.
Imperial BathsImperial Baths
Imperial Baths

Built in the first half of the 4th century under Emperor Constantine, but they were never used for their intended purpose as Constatine left before they were finished.
Roman Basilica - Aula PalatinaRoman Basilica - Aula Palatina
Roman Basilica - Aula Palatina

Another building built by Constantine in the early 4th century; the Aula Palatina was probably the throne room or audience hall. This would definitely be an impressive throne room. In 1856 it was turned into a Protestant church (Church of the Savior).
Roman Basilica ExteriorRoman Basilica Exterior
Roman Basilica Exterior

Not the most beautiful of churches in terms of architecture but still looking pretty good for a 1600-year-old building.
Imperial PalaceImperial Palace
Imperial Palace

Built in 1756, it now houses the offices of the regional administration.
Apotheke (Drug Store)Apotheke (Drug Store)
Apotheke (Drug Store)

I was amazed to find that this drug store has been in business on this sight since 1211.
Child of TrierChild of Trier
Child of Trier

This little kid, with her friend, was in her glory as she rode her push bike across the square.
A Great Place to People WatchA Great Place to People Watch
A Great Place to People Watch

Trier is a great place to walk around. There are plenty of shops as well as sidewalk cafes. Kate likes to shop and I like to sit at an outdoor cafe and people watch.
Even in TrierEven in Trier
Even in Trier

Notice the signs in the middle building.
GraffitiGraffiti
Graffiti

Someone with a weird sense of humor but funny none the less.
Old Mosel River CranesOld Mosel River Cranes
Old Mosel River Cranes

Up to the 18th century the Mosel was a busy trade route and this crane, built in 1413, was used in loading/unloading ships. The cranes were powered by pedal wheels.
River BargeRiver Barge
River Barge

Although Trier is no longer an important shipping port on the Moselle, barges still ply the river. Notice how little freeboard (distance from water to main deck) this barge has. Unquestionably fully loaded.
River Fire StationRiver Fire Station
River Fire Station

The Trier's river fire station does not seem to equiped to fight a big fire on the river. I guess they could always drive the fire truck down to the river's edge to fight the fire.
Zurlauben - Fishermen's VillageZurlauben - Fishermen's Village
Zurlauben - Fishermen's Village

This area used to be the sight of a fishermen's and sailor's village. The lovely houses, nearly 200 years old, have been turned into traditional pubs and restaurants. A great place to relax and enjoy some great food.
At the End of the DayAt the End of the Day
At the End of the Day

This picture of Charley, our 10 yr old Pomeranian, conveys how we felt after walking around Trier all day long.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb