Local specialty


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
July 8th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Walking with sticks01 Walking with sticks01 Walking with sticks

Saw many locals doing this, walking with sticks. They are in training for the snow to fall again!
Geo: 60.3741, 25.0154

We drove 3 hours this morning before we reached Helsinki. Kosta took us on a driving tour of the city. We saw churches, a modern art monument to a Finnish composer, an underground rock church, harbour side markets and parliament house. Helsinki is on the coast and the port of full of many cruise boats and ships. Went to check into our hostel. We had twin share rooms and they were very spacious. Anita, Bridget and I walked into town. We browsed shops, market stalls- where we bought yummy cherries from. Checked out the restaurants for somewhere for all of us to have dinner, then it was cider time. We met the rest of the group and ate our last meal as 9 of us. Ate a great Finnish restaurant. I ordered salmon and tasted some reindeer. We then went for a walk and found a cafe to try the local desserts. I had rhubarb and strawberry cake. While we ate, we people watched, just like the locals do! Chairs are organized into rows that face the footpath.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

02 Long words02 Long words
02 Long words

The Finns are well known for their long words. The longest word I found today had 25 letters! This is part of a menu from a fast food restaurant.
03 Monument03 Monument
03 Monument

This is a monument to a famous Finnish composer, Jean Sibelius.
04 Close up04 Close up
04 Close up

Close up of the monument while I stood underneath it.
05 Underground rock church05 Underground rock church
05 Underground rock church

The outside of the underground rock church.
06 Inside06 Inside
06 Inside

Inside the underground rock church.
07 Church07 Church
07 Church

A church.
08 Waterfront at sunset08 Waterfront at sunset
08 Waterfront at sunset

View of the boats and buildings we saw after we ate dinner and on the way to find desert!
09 Russian Church09 Russian Church
09 Russian Church

The red building is the Russian church.
10 Desert10 Desert
10 Desert

My yummy desert of strawberry and rhubarb cake with custard!!
11 People watching11 People watching
11 People watching

Watching people while eating and drinking.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb