Helsinki, Finland and day at sea--Thursday and Friday, May 29-30, 2014


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
May 30th 2014
Published: June 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Helsinki, Finland--Thursday, May 29, 2014

This morning we watched out our window as the ship made its way past forests, towns, seaside resorts and into the port of Helsinki and docked at a pier. We had expected it to dock where we had previously seen cruise ships berthed, that was way closer to downtown.

Unfortunately, where we now were, was quite a ways from the center of town, and we hadn’t booked a tour since we counted on just walking off the ship and browsing along the wharf as we had done before or possibly catching public transportation and taking in the large Suomenlinna Maritime Fortress. Sigh!

However, after the cold, wet and long day we had the day before, and the fact that it is raining hard again today, we welcomed a downish day and stayed on board ship resting, reading and polishing the next lecture to be given the following day at sea.



At Sea--Friday, May 30, 2014

Valerie gave part 2 of her lecture on “Notable Businessmen and Entrepreneurs of the Region,, only this time, she talked about; a) Ingvar Feodor Kamprad, founder of IKEA, b) Alfred Noble, inventor of dynamite and armaments manufacturer, and founder of Noble Prizes, c) Lars-Magnus Ericsson, founder of LM Ericsson, and d) Marcus Wallenberg and the Wallenberg family that dominated Swedish banking and investments for over 125 years.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb