Hello Helsinki


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
August 9th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The centre of HelsinkiThe centre of HelsinkiThe centre of Helsinki

This is Helsinki's cntral train station during peak hour.
After nearly 5 weeks in Asia we have arrived in Scandinavia ready for the wedding. Alex is absolutely rapt that people have stopped following him around and pinching his cheeks (the Fins are pretty tall so probably don't see him). Our flight from Dehli to Helsinki was excellent. Because the average male here is 185cm and the average female is 170cm (yes I am the avearge height of a Finnish women) so we had plenty of leg room on the plane. It was a very comfortable flight. A CF of 8 to Finnair and those tall Finnish people.

It was about Sunday lunchtime when we landed and most of the people were catching connecting flights to other destinations. As a result there were not many of us who went through immigration and out of the airport. However the difference between Finland and India could not be further apart. Basically this is how it went getting through the red tape at Finlands international airport. We get off the plane and make our way to immigration; basically no official insight. There is no departure/entry card that needs to be filled in, just your passport and seat ticket. You get to border security
CBD HelsinkiCBD HelsinkiCBD Helsinki

The centre of Helsinki at 3pm. Most people use either public transport or push bikes.
and you are grilled by a man in a both along the following lines; "Welcome to Finland"; "What is your reason for coming to Finland"; "Where are you staying"; "Have a nice time". You then move to the baggage area and out through customs. As with in Australia there is a 'Declared' line and a 'Nothing to declare' line. The declared line is closed and the nothing to declare line has no one there. Then you are out and into a taxi (a top of the range Mercedes station wagon no less). So as far as getting into a country as a traveller goes Finland gets a big CF of 10; just so easy. I would dare say however that if you are a person in the business of agriculture your Care Factor might just be a bit lower than that.

Our hotel is basically in the heart of Helsinki. We have a 5 - 10 min walk to the very centre of the CBD. You stroll past the Parliment and Central Train Station via many different statues and beautiful parks and gardens. Basically everyone speak English so it is just so easy compared to India and the other
Icecream anyone?Icecream anyone?Icecream anyone?

It has been very hot in Helsinki so an icecream or two hits the spot.
parts of Asia that we have visited so far. Phoebe and Alex are so excited to see other members of our extended family. It has come at just the right time for everyone I think and we will be ready to re-entre Asia in 3 weeks.

Last night there was a massive thunder storm that hit Helsinki. There were all these people yelling and screaming and running for shelter and home. For those of us from Australia it is not exactly an uncommon occurance. However for the average Finn it is very unusual. It has been all over the news and in the papers today. Every local that we have spoken to today has brought it up in conversation. That being said the other major story of the day has been the World Sauna Championships. Not so much that they have been held but the fact that the winner DIED from heat exhaustion and dehydration and the runner up is in a coma in hospital. Committment or what. I bet Whoosha wished from of his players showed the same. The next major event in Finland is the World Air Guitar Championships, and they call Perth "Dulesville". Don't you just
Port markets.Port markets.Port markets.

You can get the freshest fruit and vegies at the margets, along with reindeer antlers and minks hts.
love headline stories from a different country. I would give it a CF of 7, especially because back in Australia all the rage is the election and West Coast Eagles first wooden spoon.

Today we have been getting ourselves ready for the wedding on Friday, hair cuts for Alex and I; shoes for Jo, Phoebe and Alex; and a suit for me. I am sure that they are getting the kids clothes from the back for me though.

Each day we have been trying a different dish native to the country we are in. Tonight it was Wild Boar and Reindeer. I would have to say that Wild Boar would get a CF of 7 - a lot tastier than a steak but not quite as gamey (is there such a word as gamey?) as Kangaroo. Reindeer was a bit interesting. Not a very nice tasting dish but we are unsure if it was the meat or the way it was cooked. We decided not to question the 6 foot 6 cook so will as our soon to be sister-in-law what her opinion is.

My initial impression of Finland is that it is great (not sure if
Parks everywhere.Parks everywhere.Parks everywhere.

There are numerous parks right throughout the city for people to enjoy.
I would want to live here for a long period of time though) although they do have their own quirks. They do not like conversing with people they meet on the street and are happy to keep walking if they can. They are also highly efficient. So if you are on the bus and ask when it will arrive at its destination expect an answer along the lines of "It will arrive when it says on the timetable". It also appears to to a very liberal, almost socialist country. I have never seen so many tattoos, piercings and out there hair does (and that is just the girls). That being said they are all very friendly and you feel very safe walking around. So if you want a country with reliable broadband ( the government has decided it is the right of every citizen to have internet so it is very cheap), trains and buses that run on time, and have basically all your taxes go to public amenities and facilities then Finland is the place for you. Don't forget it is also very beautiful (and yes I am talking about the women again, but strangely so are the men).
Parliment.Parliment.Parliment.

There is no security on the outside of the Finnish Parliment. Anyone can just walk up and take a photo.
So to Finland an initial CF of 8 (it would have been higher except eating the engine room of Santa's sleigh just wasn't quite what I imagined).

Tomorrow we go to Tallin in Estonia to buy the drinks for the wedding. Apparently it is very cheap to purchase alcohol in this once USSR state and KGB strong hold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A central location.A central location.
A central location.

Our hotel is right in the heart of a housing and business area. This building is across the road and also houses the Australian Consul.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb