Throw A Baltic Herring on the Bar-B


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
August 14th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Finns love fish, but not just your normal garden variety. Step into any market or deli and you'll feel as though you just strapped a scuba tank to your back and dove into the ocean.... Cinnamon-pickled sardines, coal-fired baltic herring, cheese-salmon-peppercorn scrolls, fish pie, fish quiche, fish jelly ... now THIS is Penny's idea of heaven. She declared our 7 days in Helsinki 'The Week of Fish' and has been madly devouring all manner of inventive aquatic concoctions for breakfast, lunch and dinner, (literally!)

Due to the Finnish language bearing absolutely NO resemblance to anything remotely English, (unlike every other European language where you can pretty much work things out), a stomach-churning mishap nearly ended our ability to digest anything in this country. Thankfully Dave, with his hat in his hands alongside 2 food products heading for our dinner plates, approached a deli worker requesting a quick nutitional label translation. The 'cow's blood pancakes' and 'liver burgers' returned to their spots in the fridge quick smart.

Other than eating, our main purpose in Helsinki was securing a Chinese visa. With our applications coinciding with the Olympics a few spanners threatened to jam the works, but we are now proud owners of the legal means to enter China. (Phew!)

We're staying in a stunning oceanside area of Finland called Espoo, bordering the Helsinki archipelago, surrounded by endless parklands and marinas. Everything is so peaceful, organised and spotless. We're relaxing daily and making the most of the HUGE, free buffet breakfast in our hotel. Pen looks forward to the next one as soon as we leave our table.

Despite free internet, access is near impossible due to the presence of an individual belonging to a rare and endangered species whom we have dubbed "The Net Hawk". Feeding his appetite for information, he flexes his talons over the keyboard for 20 hours a day, leaving his perch only for toilet breaks before returning to circle his prey and pouncing at any opportunity. The man even has a beak of a nose. We've taken to bussing 30 minutes to the city library instead of battling his finely tuned instincts.

It's mid summer and the rain washes Helsinki clean every second day. We suppose it keeps the fishy smell outta the air. We're cleansing our souls gladly before the 4 month humid Asian onslaught.

Must sign off now. The Net Hawk is circling. Don't wanna fall victim to those beady eyes and sharp beak.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Chandelier Inside Helsinki CathedralChandelier Inside Helsinki Cathedral
Chandelier Inside Helsinki Cathedral

This one's for you Princess!


29th August 2008

Watching What you Eat?
Penn and Dave, I laughed out Loud so much reading your update on your travel eating habits....From the Pot Heads in Hawaii, Penny's Cupcakes Delights, Dave wearing all his clothes to avoid extra luggage costs to Cow's Blood Pancakes and Liver Burgers....Ohhhh YUCK! I would have vomited and almost did reading it! You guys look like you are having fun in all your pictures and are obviously getting much needed knowledge on what to expect from your next pitt stop... Ohh here is a tip for the Net Hawk....Ask him if he has a LIFE? All the best for your next Travels... Rosanne

Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 15; qc: 92; dbt: 0.2554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb