Day 4: Lahemaa National Park ("Mosquito Alley")


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 2nd 2012
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Viitna LakeViitna LakeViitna Lake

Despite the rain and mosquitoes, the lake was so peaceful and enjoyable
After breakfast, left the hotel at 09h05 on a tour into eastern Estonia, more precisely, Lahemaa National Park. Established by the Soviets on finding a little known decree signed by Lenin that stated that National Parks were good, barbed-wire was immediately put up and, being so good, local were excluded and military personal enjoyed the scenery for almost fifty years.

It was raining when I left Tallinn and it was raining when I arrived in Viitna shortly after 10h00. Once dressed for the rain, I set off for a walk around the lake. Hardly had I left the bus than I was being attacked by mosquitoes - not two or three, but twenty or thirty at a time. The views around the lake were spectacular, but spoilt by the constant biting.

Moving on, I went to Palmse Manor and arrived in clearing weather. After wandering the gardens and admiring the view, I had a spot of lunch - Red Meat soup and Estonian Potato Salad - very nice.

With the sun shining, it was time to go looking for beavers. And so it was that I, together with several hundred mosquitoes, enjoyed a short stroll along the banks of a river trying to spot beavers. Lodges were seen but not a lot else.

Finally, in my view, the highlight of the day, no mosquitoes! Arrived in Kasmu, to look at the Erratic Boulders. This little village boasted a ship's captain in every family - until most ended up living in Siberia courtesy of Uncle Joe. Today, the sea was flat and blue, the erratic boulders just where nature had left them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Start of the Beaver TrailThe Start of the Beaver Trail
The Start of the Beaver Trail

... but no-one told the beavers.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb