09/19/2009 - Tallinn, Estonia


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
September 19th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Roxie went on a tour of “Old Town (cobblestone streets and lots of hills),” while Roger rested and Judy & I took a shuttle to “Old Town” and walked around on our own. As we got off the bus and walked to the street we needed to turn on I fell over a semi-circle rock. My left knee is bruised up pretty good, but other than that I’m fine. We were approached by a young lady offering samples of candied/flavored/smoked nuts and asked if we wanted to try one. It was still early in the morning so we both said, “no thank you.” The young lady looked at us and said, “Why not?” We were both so shocked at her question, we simply walked on. We continued on to “Sweater Wall” where some homemade, and some mass made by China, sweaters, hats and gloves were being sold. Visited a couple of churches and walked the majority of the town - upper where the upper economic level lived and lower where the middle/lower economic level lived. Had to climb some pretty steep steps/slope to get to upper town, but I made it. On our way out we stopped and had a pastry and drink at a shop recommended by Rick Steve’s. Great day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sweater WallSweater Wall
Sweater Wall

Some items are handmade, but many are mass produced in China
St. Catherine's PassageSt. Catherine's Passage
St. Catherine's Passage

A landmark combining master craftsmen workshops with a medieval atmosphere. It's mainly about the beautiful street and the tombstones from the old Dominican monastery that are placed on one wall.
St. Catherine's PassageSt. Catherine's Passage
St. Catherine's Passage

Tombstones from the old Dominican monastery that are placed on one wall.
Holy Spirit ChurchHoly Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church

14th-century
Holy Spirit ChurchHoly Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church

14th-century
Holy Spirit Church Holy Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church

Unique 15th century altar. One of the oldest pulpits in Estonia, dating to 1597.
Holy Spirit ChurchHoly Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church

Painted clock on facade is Tallinn's oldest public timepiece, dating to the late 17th century.
Holy Spirit ChurchHoly Spirit Church
Holy Spirit Church

Close up of painted clock.


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb