09/19/2009 - Tallinn, Estonia


Advertisement
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
September 19th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Roxie went on a tour of “Old Town (cobblestone streets and lots of hills),” while Roger rested and Judy & I took a shuttle to “Old Town” and walked around on our own. As we got off the bus and walked to the street we needed to turn on I fell over a semi-circle rock. My left knee is bruised up pretty good, but other than that I’m fine. We were approached by a young lady offering sample... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Town Hall SquareTown Hall Square
Town Hall Square

Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn - UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
Payphone decal Payphone decal
Payphone decal

Notice they have 3 numbers for emergency services.
Town Hall PharmacyTown Hall Pharmacy
Town Hall Pharmacy

One of the oldest pharmacies still functioning in its original spot in all of Europe.
Olde HansaOlde Hansa
Olde Hansa

While we didn't have time to stop, Rick Steves recommends a visit to Olde Hansa, the city's best-loved medieval restaurant. Much more than a place to dine, this boisterous establishment provides a truly authentic medieval experience, with all the colorful period costumes, furnishings and candle-lit ambiance you'll need to take you back to the days of old. Enjoy live chamber music while feasting on a hearty meal of bear or boar, then wash it all down with a nice mug of ale.
Old Town TallinnOld Town Tallinn
Old Town Tallinn

Dressed in period costume, these girls sell candied/roasted/flavored nuts of all kinds.
St. Nicholas´ ChurchSt. Nicholas´ Church
St. Nicholas´ Church

13th century church founded by German merchant/settlers from the island of Gotland sometime around 1230, the sturdy church was designed to double as a fortress in the days before the town wall was built. The building survived the reformationist looting of 1523, but wasn't so lucky in the 20th Century when it was destroyed by World War II bombs. Since its restoration in the 1980s St. Nicholas' has functioned as a museum specializing in works of religious art. Exquisite altarpieces, baroque chandeliers and medieval burial slabs are also on display, while the Silver Chamber is home to stunning works by members of town's craft guilds.
Toompea CastleToompea Castle
Toompea Castle

Known as "upper town" where the affluent lived, Toompea Castle is one of Estonia's oldest and grandest architectural groupings. Built in the 13th to the 14th centuries, the castle is situated on the steep limestone coast, 50 meters above sea level. It is one of the most potent symbols of reigning power, conquered over the centuries by various nations. Today, the Estonian Parliament is housed here.
Alexander Nevsky CathedralAlexander Nevsky Cathedral
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

This spectacular, onion-domed structure perched atop Toompea Hill is Estonia's main Russian Orthodox cathedral. It's also by far the grandest, most opulent Orthodox church in Tallinn. Built in 1900, when Estonia was part of the tsarist Russian empire. The cathedral was dedicated to the Prince of Novgorod, Alexander Yaroslavich Nevsky, who led the famous Battle of the Ice at Lake Peipsi in 1242, which halted the German crusaders' eastward advance. It was deliberately placed in this prominent location right in front of Toompea Castle, on the same spot where a statue of Martin Luther had previously stood. Now with the controversy long since faded, what's left is simply an architectural masterpiece. Designed by respected St. Petersburg architect Mikhail Preobrazhenski, the church is richly decorated in a mixed historicist style. The interior is filled with mosaics and icons. The church's towers hold Tallinn's most powerful church bell ensemble, consisting of 11 bells, including the largest in Tallinn, weighing 15 tons.
Toompea Castle & Tall HermanToompea Castle & Tall Herman
Toompea Castle & Tall Herman

Tall Hermann was built in the southwestern corner of Toompea Fortress at the end of the 14th century. The name of the tower comes from the German phrase "Lange Hermann" meaning "tall soldier" or "chief" and comes from the tales of the adored medieval hero Hermann. This sort of name was usually given to the most powerful towers in a fortress.
Tall HermannTall Hermann
Tall Hermann

The Estonian flag waves at the top of the 48-meter-high tower.
Old Town TallinnOld Town Tallinn
Old Town Tallinn

Judy purchasing local pastries & coffee - hot chocolate for me.



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb