Visit to Ribe


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Syddanmark » Ribe
June 15th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Visited Ribe today, the oldest city in Denmark and established in 700 because of its good location as a trading post on the river.
Lovely place especially on a blue-sky sunny day.
There are streets of beautifully restored buildings in the medieval quarter of the city. They should be too pretty and twee but surprisingly they are not and the whole place was a delight to the eye and also to the camera. Loved the cathedral which has some very modern paintings and stained glass. The river is also pretty and forms an island round part of the town. Unexpectedly you come across a full working water wheel in the main shopping street and then a gushing weir.
All extremely tasteful and well thought out. Not a piece of litter to be seen.

We visited the Viking museum which was superb with glass beads from the 700s, a couple of skeletons and lots of artefacts from the days when this city was a major part of the Danish economy. All in all an excellent display.

We had lunch of coffee and tea sitting people watching on the main street which was lovely as the sun was out and it was a glorious day, albeit still a bit chilly out of the sun. Walked the mile or so back to the campsite along the cycle track and stopped on the way to check out the Fotex supermarket we found to see how much things cost. Was surprised to find some wine at only 18 Dkk (only just over £2) as had been told that all alcohol was at extortionate prices here.

Hoping that summer is now settling in, as it has been quite sunny now for two days.
Also hoping I can keep my fingers on. Yesterday I burned two taking a dish out of the oven, which I had not realised, had had time to get hot. Today I had a good attempt at squashing my thumb in the door.
Apart from this strange bout of accident proneness everything, so far, is going very well and we are very happy with our Tandy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb