Continuing our International Beer Research Program


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
September 30th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Czech Republic


Jason crossed the border into Czech in the early morning on route to the Ardspach-Templice Rocks. Spent around 4 hours walking the trails here exploring the impressive rock formations. Arriving back at camp I was told by the very friendly car park attendant that I had left my lights on! Fortunately the car started however it decided to buzz immediately when I tried to leave. Hoping the diesel on the wires theory was correct (see previous blogs!) as the injector overflow cap was leaking a little, I tried wiping the contacts and wires clean again. It didn’t work of course and the oil light continued to buzz at an ever increasing frequency.

With Kirstyn en-route to Prague , the prospect of getting to the airport in time was looking dire. To keep going without incessant buzzing I had worked out the “ingenious” way of stopping the buzzing without the car, by turning the ignition off and on while coasting. ‘It seemed like a good idea at the time’ came true when on one attempt the key was turned slightly too far, resulting in the steering locking and the car coasting silently to a halt in the table drain. A little shaken, but no damage done, I was horrified to find I was stuck with the wheel spinning in the damp gutter and the angle not helping. To cut an embarrassing, long story short, the next hour was spent jacking the tire up and down to no avail until finally a nice guy stopped and gave me a push. With my hands and forearms blazing red from the stinging nettles that I had so aptly chose to get stuck next to, I frantically hit the road again for Prague. Clancy (the bitch!) continued to buzz for several more times, before hitting the motorway where the alarm never peeped again.

By some kind of miracle I made it to the airport right on time, Kirst none the wiser for my epic day, except for the bedraggled look on my face, although she was probably too exhausted herself from her own 37hr journey!

We found a campsite not far from the airport and settle here for a few days to explore the capital, Prague. The city lived up to its unofficial title of “Paris of the East” and was both beautiful, friendly and easy to get around. The local transport system here was by far the best we had come across so far and was geared towards the tourist market. To top it all of we managed to find some nice cheap beers along the way as well….who could ask for more!

On our first day of exploring the city we headed first to the huge castle complex, which was very pretty and offered some great views of the city. Next was a visit to the old part of town on our way to see the Museum of Communism. Spent a few hours here learning about the history of the Czech and Slovakia’s people’s struggle under communist rule. Another interesting lesson in post WWII history for us. Keeping with the Eastern European food styles we have now become very accustomed to, we had another large meaty meal accompanied by cheap beers that night.

Day two in Prague we took in more sights including a climb up the Petrin Tower (all 200+ steps), another great view of Prague from Letna Hill, a visit to Vysehrad Castle and a wander around the Jewish Quarter. Stopped by the big Statue of King Wenceslas (prompting many attempted renditions of the Christmas Carol but neither of us could get past the first line…”Good King Wenceslas looked down…da da da da da daaaaa”) and pondered for a moment at the memorial of Jan Pavic, built on the site where he burned himself to death in protest of the communist government in 1968. Finished our day off with our recurring beer theme, watching the end of the International Master Bartender Awards (Kirst contemplated entering given her extensive experience at Fitzroy Crossing Inn but they didn’t have a can opening category). Heading home we found a very local beer hall near our campground with 20ck pints (80 euros cents equivalent). Naturally spent a few Czech Krowns here supporting the local business and marvelling at the barman’s ability to carry 7 pints in one hand!

Given the amount of beer we have tasted over the last two years we now consider ourselves to be amatuer experts in the area. The more we drink the more we fuel our dream of one day opening our own brewery. In the interest of research we drove down to Plzen (Pilsner) to tour the original Pilsner Brewery, Pilsner Urquell. If only we had kept all of our receipts we may be
Pravcicka Brana Pravcicka Brana Pravcicka Brana

Europe's largest natural arch
able to write all this beer tasting off as a tax deduction when we get our own liquid gold flowing………

As our last stop in Czech Republic we went to the Bohemian Switzerland National Park. Did a lovely walk here through the Kamenice River Gorge, sections of which we had to catch small punts through, then up to the Pravcicka Brana, the largest natural arch in Europe. Lovely scenery and a nice way to finish off our visit to Czech.












Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Enjoying some fine Czech beerEnjoying some fine Czech beer
Enjoying some fine Czech beer

All in the name of research
Eerie Grotto WallEerie Grotto Wall
Eerie Grotto Wall

Parliament Gardens
Prague Prague
Prague

Statues and Steeples


24th October 2008

Prague
Hi again, I loved this city as well and as time was limited only wandered around with no time to go to the museums. Love the rivers wish Australia had half as much as they do. When you traveled through the towns did you notice all the housing built for the people, thousands of them all the same. Our tour leader said that you had a very small choice of table chairs, lounges etc to furnish your appartments with, also they were built so that sound traveled and there were people who listened to the people to spy on them. The tour leader parent's were sad when the communist rule left they were lost as they felt safe knowning they had a job, hospital care and would be looked after when old. there was a job for all, and you were checked out if you didn't show for work, however the tour leader liked the way things are now she could travel and own nice things and was getting married. It sounds wonderful the travels you have done, have fun and will catch up when you are back. Love Auntie Val.

Tot: 0.452s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb