Two days in Cesky Krumlov


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The beautiful medieval town of Cesky Krumlov, full of cobbled streets and dominated by the huge castle on the hill and the imposing St Vitus’ cathedral lower down. The town is encircled by a river and couldn’t be more picturesque surrounded by rolling green hills. Well worth spending a night or so here to be up before the crowds of tourists and be able to enjoy the atmosphere and take in the lovely buildings and plazas without watching who you’re about to bump into or whose picture you’re about to walk into. The other advantage to staying the night is going to watch a performance at the revolving theatre. They do outdoor performances all summer in the evening, we were kindly given two tickets after I offered to take photos for a group of local people posing in front of the castle. The venue is up on the hill in the palace gardens where the audience sits in a revolving auditorium. The small round base moves to follow the movement of the play, it was quite bizarre but added a good new dimension to the play. We didn’t enjoy the play at all! A musical called Finian’s Rainbow, all in Czech. We read about the story on line afterwards and it made a bit more sense. Did one of the three tours on offer round the castle. We chose the one that visited the chapel and main living area, some beautiful rooms; rococo, baroque and renaissance, gave a better perspective than just looking at the outside. As with some buildings in Prague quite a number of buildings, including the castle have a lot of graffito work on them, giving an interesting added dimension to the atmosphere.



Easy journey to Cesky Krumlov from Prague, 3 hours in a very comfortable bus (Student Agency), even had back of the seat personal movies and free (very strong) coffee. Staying in the very pleasant Pension Usoudu only a few minutes from the town centre, fantastic breakfast included.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb