bye Prague we are heading south


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 3rd June 2012

After breakfast and a last stroll around Prague it was time again to load up the bikes and head to the train station. It was nice staying at the apartment for a few days, plenty of room and right in the centre of the old town - great location.

We pushed our laden bikes through the crowded cobbed streets until we were able to ride them the rest of the way to the station. I went and purchased tickets for us and the bikes to Cesky Krumlov out next stop. 237.2kc = $11.86 per person with bikes. We had a little time to wait for the platform to appear on the board and hoped that the loading of the bikes onto the train would be a better experience than it was departing Holland.

We went to the platform and found the train carriage which had a picture of a bike on the outside and although we had to take off all the panniers and lift the bikes into the carriage it was a much easier task then previously. Also the fact that there was actually a train employee there to check we were on the correct train and tickets were in order. The bikes secured we took our seats in the passenger compartment and sat ready for the 4 hour jouney.

The train left a little later than scheduled and it was not long before we were out of Prague city limits and the weather turned nasty. Rain, lightening and thunder, not exactly the kind of weather you want to see when you know very soon a bicycle is going to be your main form of transport.

The crappy weather stayed with us for almost all of the train trip. We had one change over at a town called Ceske Budejovice and lucky for us the rain had stopped while we unloaded the bikes and changed platforms. Bad news was we had missed the connecting train, which we found out later never actually arrived, and had 2 hours of waiting around for the next local train to Cesky Krumlov. Nothing to do but sit and wait really.

Toni, Robyn and I made a little visit to the station ladies room which was attended by a little man who freaked out when we entred the loo without paying. We assured him we would pay on our way out, but he was not happy and as I exited the toilet stall he was blocking the way so I could not escape before paying my 6kc = 3cents for the use of the conveniences.

Finally our local train arrived and it turned out we were on the wrong platform and had to cross the rails to get to the correct one. Loading our bikes came with the assistance of a group of drunken local blokes who also entered our train only to minutes later exit as they were on the wrong one.

The rain still held off as we travelled the shorter distance to Cesky Krumlov. This was a beautiful scenic trip as the train meandered through little villages, forrest and countryside. Everywhere is lush and green looking and so pretty.

From the station at Cesky Krumlov I knew it would be all downhill to get into the centre and to our pension. I was here last year and absolutely fell in love with this beautiful place which is why I put it into our itinerary. If you read my blog last year you will remember I did mention I was adding this to the next trip.

By sheer luck the road we chose to take into the centre, after our big down hill coast, was the correct road and we almost stumbled into our accomodation. We were met at the gate by the not so happy owner as he was expecting us a few hours earlier not knowing about the cancelled connection. After our explanation he lightened up a bit and showed us the shed where we could store our bikes just as it started to rain. So good timing there.

My stomach was advising it was beer o'clock and time for dinner also. It was raining outside but with the aid of my trusty rain poncho, and Lyn's and Robyn's - the Lemons perferring to cuddle up under a small brollie, we head off in search of food.

Our landlord who we bumped into down the street suggested we go to the Gyspy restaurant for cheap beer and good food and that's where we headed and exactly what we received. Large beers for 39kc = $1.95 and fried blue vein cheese with ham for 100kc = $5. We dined with the decadence of Kings and Queens!

The weather promises to be clear tomorrow (according to the landlord) - hope so as we were wanting to go boating down the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



4th July 2012

Leaving Prague !
Hi Cindy,am loving your stories and amazing photos. Keep 'em coming.....thanks. Hi to Lynn too. Take care all of you , Tina x
5th July 2012

Have a good trip
You're a great tour organizer Cindy! It totally makes me want to travel by bike with you!
5th July 2012

Loving the blog
Loving the blogs Cindy..think you got confused with the months though! We are deffo in July now! Glad you managed to get some bikes at a reasonable price and hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Beer prices is simply amazing. Hope that Lins foot doesn't hold you back to muchx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb