the manvan rolls on!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
June 15th 2006
Published: June 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello.

This is officially the most rushed entry ever!

Rough travel update:
So now we (Cory, Jeff, and my brother) are in Prague after having arrived here this morning in our now infamous manvan. After Gelsenkirchen we made it to Berlin, staying one night at drnojoke.de 's (a guy I met in Turkey) and one in the van, graciously dubbed the manvan. After much congestion, we made it to Prague in the early afternoon. We had a few quick drinks with my Veronika here (a native of the region who is a friend of a friend) and are at the moment watching the England game on a huge TV setup in the old town square.

Some quick stories before the second half starts!:
After Gelsenkirchen we progressed towards Berlin and slept in the van. We made it there in the early afternoon for lunch with my friend Frank, aka drnojoke.de. He offered us a place and toured us around east Berlin. We explored the wall, an art gallery on the wall, and also a manmade beach between the wall and the river. The wall formerly separated two parts of the city because of a sort of hate but
Berlin Wall beachBerlin Wall beachBerlin Wall beach

Jeff and Andy lounge while Cory and NoJoke talk shop
now it separates beach-goers from the sounds of cars thus offering peace.

Some of the day we explored Brandenburg Gate. It just so happens that this monument is next to the Fifa World Cup Fan Site for Berlin. This just means is a set aside pedesterian area selling food and beverage offering a place for fans to gather. Despite this, we watched games in the evenings in various pubs. The second/last night we were in Berlin, we watched Germany defeat Poland in the last minute. The pub we were at offered free beer to everyone in the place so this mixed with the victory and Germany's advancement to the next round offered a festive environment! That night we drove out of the city and slept in the van en route to Prague!

Today, we got to Prague late because of some rediculous traffic. We spoiled ourselves with a hotel after sleeping on floors and vans so we are living the high life. While living the high life, we were able to meet my friend Laura's friend named Veronika who is from Prague. Our meeting was brief but she was delightful for all of us to bounce some quick questions off her and get Czech 101 with respect to beer, culture, government, etc. Now we are chillin in the square and doing various city things (like buying "necessities"). Tomorrow we will tour a little more but it is up in the air what we will do in the night; we have to drive all the way to Kaiserslautern to see the US v Italy game! Hopefully our team got their heads out of thier asses!

So that is an extremely quick version of how things are going. Generally things are fun traveling with the ol' Ohio boys (none of which live there anymore) and wondering about. They leave the day after the US game and I will go to Munich for the day for the Brazil game then go all night to Rostock and Hamburg to meet some friends before heading down to Croatia the 22nd for 8/9 days to see Zvonimir and revisit the others I met before!

Again, thanks for your comments and hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the matches, etc! Take care!

brad


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Fan Fest BerlinFan Fest Berlin
Fan Fest Berlin

my bro and I hanging out at the Brandenburg Tor
CONCEPTS in Czech RepublicCONCEPTS in Czech Republic
CONCEPTS in Czech Republic

near Prague Castle


18th June 2006

USA! USA!
The blood of Brian McBride will be avenged!!! USA ALL THE WAY!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb