Morning and Evening Light


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 4th 2006
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Evening in the Sarka ValleyEvening in the Sarka ValleyEvening in the Sarka Valley

The spring colors are very intense here.
One of the things I really enjoy in these northern latitudes is the quality of light in the mornings and evenings. The morning and evening light are absolutely beautiful and both always wonderful times of day to take pictures. Colors are more intense and the long shadows add contrast and interest to the photos.

Nancy and I enjoy walking up the Sarka Valley and it is UP with the babbling brook flowing the opposite direction. It is interesting to watch the valley change with the changing seasons. Here, the summers are shorter than back home. The plants have to hurry here and they seem to simply explode out of the ground in their rush to grow, bloom and reproduce before the long winter season sets in again and they rest until the spring rush arrives once more. There is a large wetland near the seminary and seemingly no mosquitoes. In fact, last year we did not see any at all. I think I heard one buzzing around my ear the other night, but she didn't bite me. No, that is not a sexist statement. It is only the female mosquito that bites.

Further up the valley is an old abandoned house, and further still are several houses that are still being lived in. One, shown in the first picture, has a small food shed built just across the creek from the trail. On weekends you can buy hot and cold drinks as well as sausages that you can roast over an open fire they keep going. In the winter we noticed that many cross country skiers stop there for a sausage and a cup of hot coffee or a cold beer or soft drink. For those with a sweet tooth there is candy.

The second photo is looking out our bedroom window toward the back portion of the campus. This area is, for the most part, undeveloped. Part of the hill is covered by an old apple orchard and beyond that is a large field. Along the right side runs what is left of an old road that was the major road running between Dresden, Germany and Prague. I do not know if this was still the major link between the two cities in the 1940's.




Advertisement



8th May 2006

Great picture
Billy, I love the photo out your edroom window. The light is spectacular and I love the composition. WOW! Jan

Tot: 0.728s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 19; qc: 159; dbt: 0.4612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.4mb