Czech Republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
October 8th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We decided to follow the beer theme of the past week and a half of travelling and hopped a train from Munich to Plzen, Czech Republic. Plzen is famous for brewing the world's first pilsner style beer back in the 19th century when they dug mine shafts under the city to ferment the lager in giant wood casks. They still do it like that to some extent today and it really is one of the best in the world. Very natural ingredients and most of it here in CR is un-pasteurized.

We stayed at a creepy (empty) hostel in the middle of Plzen and relaxed for a few days after the craziness of Oktoberfest. We did the brewery tour and enjoyed the city before moving on to Prague.

Prague is a great backpacker city. Cheap compared to any other capital city we've seen and lots of stuff to do. We did our usual big city thing and enjoyed one of the free walking tours of the city. We saw the Prague Castle which is the biggest in all of Europe as well as the famous Astrological clock that apparently puts on quite the show on the hour with a skeleton coming out of the church window. We could hear the chimes but the giant mobs and poor timing prevented us from seeing it first hand. At first we were unsure about Prague's supposed beautiful city status but as we crossed the Vltava river we discovered one of the best parts of the city. It almost reminded us of parts of Spain with relatively quiet, narrow cobble streets and well preserved old buildings. Near our hostel we found a super cool ex-pat cafebookstore hangout with a good variety of english books to replenish our collections and a chilled out atmosphere where we played intense games of chess while trying a local specialty, hot wine.

Of course there are pictures to come soon. Next up tomorrow is Bratislava, Slovakia then Budapest, Hungary. We're really getting into eastern Europe now.

Alex and Jay

Advertisement



10th October 2008

Adventures
Your adventure so far seems to have been exciting and a learning experience . With Halloween coming up I hope to hear a story of how other countries celebrate, and perhaps a picture or 2 lol. Happy trails and keep writing Lou

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb