A Skoda filled with Mullets and Fur Coats


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
December 20th 2005
Published: December 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Old SquareThe Old SquareThe Old Square

When the lights go down most women get better looking. So to does mother Prague. Then you wake up and realized your horrible decision... to make love to a city.
A familiar arctic chill hugged the air which reeked of hot mulled wine, the stalls of the Christmas markets hawked authentic Czech cultural souvinirs (complete with made in China stickers), and an elderly man with a violin sang "blue suede shoes" by Elvis Presley followed by a beautiful rendition of "Shabut Shalom" on a stage in the old town square in front of the Tyn Cathedral. Mother Prague had already held me in her loving arms.

I have been in the Czech Republic only hours and have already been offered more drugs than I could possibly snort or inject, been offered the services of Czech prostitutes (of which, I assure you mother, I promptly turned down), and listened to BB King songs being played by his Eastern European equivelant in a basement Jazz Bar next to my hostel.

Half this country is chic, couture, malnurished and walks like any Eastern European Super Model would. The other half of this country abandoned Communism with a bang and adopted the hypercapitalism of the 1980's; Grey, badly tailored suits with skinny ties, Jarimor Jagr Mullets, and fur coats; many, many fur coats. Prague is Traditional and Ultra Modern, Rich and very poor, East and very very West. In this confused part of the world, the museum of Communism is appropriately located above a Mcdonlads and beside a Casino.

There is of course another element of society. The expats. Those who escaped the clutches of their wealthy Western countries in search of inspiration and cheap beer and never looked back. They make their living selling cubist paintings from hole in the wall galleries, or recycling Kafka quotes and reciting them at evening recitals in coffee houses and cathedrals.

Prague is stunning. Cities as old as Prague that have been untouched by war generally are. If one is a conniseuer of the finer things in life (Art, Classical Music, Theatre, and archatecture), then Prague is a smorgusborg of styles, eras and genres. If one is white trash, like me, and fails to appreciate the finer things in life, at least Prague has very cheap food and beer.

The Czech Republic occupies its position between East and West like a child of divorced parents (yes a very tacky comparison...Actually that is awful writing, stream of consciousness continues with new paragraph).

The people of the Czech Republic are trying hard in their
the stage in the squarethe stage in the squarethe stage in the square

This is where the little old man sand blue suede shoes
adolescance of independance (they only officially became soveriegn in 1993) to maintain Western Lifestyles. Unfortunately their images of Western Life is formed by old episodes of Dallas and coffin dodger tourists who frequent the cobbled streets of Prague attempting to extend their lost and forgotten youth. As such, I have seen more bad perms in the Czech Republic than I could possibly make fun of.

Cold War Values are evident in the National Museum which has an obsession with quantity over quality. Like something out of Stalins Trophy Room (s), The Museum poory displays thousands upon thousands of exotic dead animals. The more endangered and extinct the animal is, the more likely it is that the National Museum has 10 dead ones on display.

Finally on Day 3 in Prague, I left tourist Prague behind.... past Prague Castle, past the stunning St. Nicholas Cathedral, past the overpriced marionette shops... I walked and I walked. I was not looking for something out of a fairy tale (which old Prague tries to be), but for the extreme polarization between rich and poor that I knew existed in former Soviet States that have been thrust into capitalism at light speed. I
Tyn CathederalTyn CathederalTyn Cathederal

Aparrently I was beaten and robbed and when I woke up this is what I saw... so I took a picture.
found it in the Soviet Style Apartment Blocks, the massive abandoned industrial factories, and the dangerously polluted side streets.

Tommorrow I board a bus south to the town of Cesky Krumlov where desperate Eastern European women yearning for a visa to Canada await my arrival.

"Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy." Franz Kafka. Mother Pragues favorite son, and most celebrated pessimist.

Post Scyptum: Pictures to come upon return to UK. Merry Christmas Everybody!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

Where american painters sell modern Art paintings of prague at night and gypsies rob you blind.
RitualsRituals
Rituals

These people were gathered at this tree to sacrifice dead tourists to Mother Prague
SkodasSkodas
Skodas

I took this picture because Skodas are everywhere and I wanted to remember how hideous they are
More  StatuesMore  Statues
More Statues

this time... at night. I think this makes them more likely to be awake. The way this picture got overdeveloped is neat.
On Charles BridgeOn Charles Bridge
On Charles Bridge

Snow falling on mishapen forms. I am a deep bohemian beat poet. Darkness.
A Big ChurchA Big Church
A Big Church

I find this one pretty freaky. I went inside and started screaming uncontrollably. I was removed and placed in a czech prison. But the internet is free here so I will have lots of time to write.
Me, my touque and pragueMe, my touque and prague
Me, my touque and prague

My nose is red from gin blossoms and cold, and my touque got me some strange looks in the fashoinable streets of prague.
PraguePrague
Prague

as seen through the legs of a giant metal statue. I think I he gave me a dirty look afterwards.
A christmas concertA christmas concert
A christmas concert

that I attended in St Nicholas Church. It was very cultural.
the worst pay road in the worldthe worst pay road in the world
the worst pay road in the world

you have to pay to walk down this cobbled street that is like every other one in prague. This means it had to be worth taking a picture of, though I am unsure as to why?


21st December 2005

A perfect description
Kris, my experience of Prague was exactly as you have described except for the fur coats (during summer). Make sure you spend one day in Cesky Budovejce on your way back from Krumlov. Its a university town with a local night scene. And don't forget to tour the Budvar Brewery there. cheers, and merry melodies Dave
27th December 2005

im about to visit Prague....help, lol
Hey Chris......someone told me today I should do a blog while Im in Prague from Jan 1-13......so I yahoo'd "travel blog", got this web site, and you are the first one I read. Im going there for the first time...im a musician...gonan do some writing there.....check out Budapest too.....big question.....Im traveling light...light...but want to bring a lap top...bad idea? Internet cafe's there? I like jazz.....jazz clubs? I play....also, want to search out same Prague you found....after a couple days of touristy Prague......anyways...got the time, pop me a few. Here's my web site...www.georgemaurer.com, what I do, etc. Peace G
30th December 2005

tremendous
In a mere 17 days, I will be living in Prague for the next 5 months. Your story was descriptive, amusing and even inspiring. I can't wait to go. Thanks for the great pictures and writing.
1st February 2006

re prague blog on bootsnall
you really should check out bootsnall's posting of your prague blog--those jackasses got all the photo captions wrong and anyone who has been to CZ will spot it in a second. Guess the Boots gang don't get out of their cozy little Portland offices as much as they say

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb