Strange encounters in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 26th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Germany the sight of Berlin Obama we headed south to Prague. Prague has become one the main tourist hot spots of Europe. It is the usual dividing point between tourists seeing east and western Europe and is such a cool place that millions of tourists visit every year.

Whe we arrived in Prague the first few hours of our time were spent sheltering from the heat, having been in the Baltic states and then coming to Berlin that was warm we were a bit suprised by the heat and decided to go out a bit later on.

When we did venture out we found that our accomodation was about 30m from the main square of Prague but was still in a very quiet back lane. The main square is the location of the Astronomical clock one of the main tourist sights in Prague, every hour hordes of tourists mill about waiting for the clock to do its thing. On the hour all sorts of stuff happens there is a parade of apostles in the clock and a skeleton rings a bell. After the clock we stood waiting for the clock and when it finished Triona turned around and said "Is that it." The clock perhaps is a bit overrated but considering it was built 1410 it is pretty impressive. We headed out and about and soon realised why all the tourists come here. Prague is a really cool city with awesome sights. Just walking through the old town is cool. But you soon emerge at the charles bridge one of the best known Prague landmarks and a really cool sight. The bridge is featured in quite a few movies and the statues that line the bridge give it a beautiful feel. From there we walked upto Prague castle. Prague castle is the largest castle complex in the world, and houses one of the most impressive churches in the world. The castle complex is huge and you just wander around for a few hours. The location of the castle means that you continually catch glimpses over the city.

One of the strangest sights we encountered in our time in Prague was a group of tourists. We were walking through the main square when a large crowd started forming. We wandered over thinking maybe it was Barack Obama but to our suprise it was a large group of Asian tourists wearing matching shirts standing in formation being directed by a priest. We were wondering what was going on when suddenly all this music started and they started singing about Jesus. The song went along the lines of "Jesus he comes into our lives, Jesus......" It was hilarious they had arm actions and everything and to say they were getting into it is a massive understatement. The strangest thing is that around them all these tourists were going crazy and filming them on video cameras, not sure what they are going to do with the footage. Later on we saw the group of pilgrims sitting in a massive circle in the middle of the square dong something which we can only assume was Jesus related.

Wandering around is one of the cooler experiences in Prague so one of the nights we were there we did this, going out at night was a great way to see the city as it takes on a very diiferent feel. The city feels as though it is straight out of a movie and all the sights are lit up with some great views of the castle and the surrounding sights.

On our last day in Prague we headed out to a place called Vishegrad, this is an old hilltop fortress out of Prague and is a really nice place just to go and hangout. Prague in summer is full of tourists so we thought that Vishegrad would be pretty busy. However when we arrived we found it to be nearly empty with few people around the whole place was really nice and they even had a huge park which we chose to hang around in for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb