Party in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
January 3rd 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Having crawled off the train in Prague we took the underground to our Hotel where I was seriously considering staying in bed and skipping New Years celebrations altogether. By this stage Craig had gotten sick too so the plagued were quarantined to our own room, both thankful to escape the power ballad brothers. But when our mate Laurence made his grand entry I felt obliged to go out, even if just for a little bit to see in the new year. I loaded up on cough medicine and lemsip capsules and had a few hearty swigs of Milad's vodka and we were off!

We took a scenic route through the city also seeing most of the sights at night (thanks Laurence) and stopped a pub on the way to the old bridge in the middle of town, along with the rest of the city. We were all pretty merry by this stage and once we had secured ourselves some bridge space we thought it'd be a great idea to show our kiwi heritage loud and proud with one of the most aggressive and rousing Haka's ever seen, well thats how I remember it. This got us the attention of a few aussies in the crowd, but mostly no one knew or cared what was going on! We had the countdown then the fireworks began in earnest, they love their fireworks in Prague, huge deadly things that would be highly illegal back home are readily and cheaply available at any corner store here. Craig and I were in heaven.

Shortly thereafter a human wave of people wanting off the bridge literally carried us back into the square where things started to get messy, fireworks were involved, we got seperated, people went off on missions, but eventually everyone made it back at a reasonable hour and I crashed out for a decent nights sleep.

Maybe it was the Absinthe shots the night before, or maybe it was the iffy eggs at breakfast but no one was really in the mood to do much on New Years day, I was still trying to get better and wasnt keen to walk very far. We all went out for a big meal that night and got an early night.

So on our last day in Prague it was time to do some sightseeing. Craig was in the same headspace as I was in Bratislava so stayed in bed while we went through the city, up the Cathedral tower, watched the old animatronic clock and headed up to the Castle overlooking the city before sitting back to a huge skewer and goulash meal with beers. That night we all met up to go to a local ice hockey game, it was between the two Prague teams in their national league and was quite the spectacle. Even sweeter was that their league is normally very clean but a big fight broke out that was to make the front page the next day, now thats entertainment!

It was time for the NY crew to split, Milad and Tarek were heading back to London, Laurence was continuing travel with his brother and we were flying to Geneva where Jim left us legging it back to London, the tour was too tough for him and he was starting to get sick as well.
Then there were three.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

White boys can jumpWhite boys can jump
White boys can jump

Thats me jumping off a ledge over an unsuspecting Speedy
Princess and TFLPrincess and TFL
Princess and TFL

aka Milad and Tarek
Old bridgeOld bridge
Old bridge

Was moshpit packed when we were on it to see in the new year
Toy museum!Toy museum!
Toy museum!

Highlight!


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb