Day 2 - 3rd January 2014 - Exploring Old Town


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
January 3rd 2014
Published: March 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today woke up very early, around 4.30am, which is typical for me for the first few days of a European holiday.

My husband, Gary, also woke earlier than usual, so we headed out before breakfast for a walk over the Charles Bridge.

It was so much nicer without the massive crowds of the day before! We walked slowly over tro the other side, and then slowly back again. There was a very large crowd of people on the way back with cameras at the ready waiting to see the sunrise, which was due at around 8:15am. We were too hungry to wait at that point and returned to the Leonardo for a wonderful buffet breakfast.

After breakfast we headed back to see Old Town Square in full daylight. We spent an hour or so wandering around before joining the very long queue to climb the Clock Tower. The view was well worth the wait.

After lunch we headed towards the Havel's Market area and picked up some souvenirs before having lunch at a place called U Tri Zlatych Ivu. We had Goulash Soup in a bread bowl, with more beers for the men and wine for me. It was delicious.

We then continued our self styled walking tour, looking at Wenceslas Square, the Powder Tower, various churches and into the Jewish Quarter. It was getting late and dark by then, so we looked at the outside area of the Jewish Cemetery, but were all too tired to go inside.

We headed back to the Leonardo to freshen up before our dinner at Marina Grosseto. We had a fabulous view of Prague Castle from the restaurant. Three of us really enjoyed our meals, but Gary's first choice wasn't available, so he ordered a steak. It wasn't cooked as he requested and after sending it back it still wasn't right, so that was a disappointment for him.

We finished up the day with drinks at the Hemingway Bar opposite our hotel. Very dark and gloomy but great drinks. Unfortunately couldn't get a seat near the bar itself, so we weren't able to watch the cocktails being made. I tried the Blackberry and Pistachio Cosmopolitan and Gary had absinthe.

Off to bed then at the end of another long day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb