Snow in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
October 18th 2009
Published: October 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since i wrote last i have done the whole northern loop. From Paris we went to Bruges. which is a little medievil type town that doesn really have much to do. There is a quote from the movie In Bruges that goes a little soething like this.... "Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn , so it doesn ."
but one thing it does have going for it is the FOOD! glorious food.. Firstly belgium invented the fritz or fries as we like to call them. and there are two main caravan chip sellers that have been competing for years over whose are the besst so naturally we had to try both. And the belgium waffles.. AMAZING! We also hit up the Choco story chocolate museum. where we got taste tests adn then proceeded to the supermarket to get more belgian chocolate 😊 We did climb the bel tower though and saw the views of the town.



Next stop.. Amsterdam!! the town of sex and weed. Seriously if you walk down the streets of Amsterdam and walk past the coffee shops in the morning middle and evening of the day you are overpowered by the smell of people smoking hash. Also just walking down the street.. you walk through someones coud of smoke they just blew and you either smell cigarettes or pot!
Very beautiful city. We visited the Van Gogh museum which was really interesting. i for one didnt know he was a self taught artisit. Another museum we visited was the Sex museum... the most amusing and physically disgusting museum in the entire world. Well all was rather amusing except one room that they have a warning on the door. i felt physically ill when i went in that room. never AGAIN! it was only 3 euros for a ticket so we thought why not?!
There are a tonne of bikes in the Netherlands. 16 million to be precise. they were everywhere.

From there we headed over to Berlin. Now Berlin i loved. Although it was bloody cold i learnt a lot. We went on a 3 hour walking tour in the rain. But were told about the division of Germany. The berlin wall. The war. Now there is a city with a dark history. After the tour we went back to the hostel and sat there until we got the feeling back in our limbs. then headed out for dinner. We got kebabs this night but the night before we went to a potato restaurant and it was amzing! I ordered a steak with a jacket potato and it came as a jakcet potato with a side of steak. I dont know where the Germans grow their Potatos but they were HUGE! it took up half the plate. but i knew i would get a hearty meal in Germany. Our next day in Berlin was spent revisiting all the sites from our walking tour but with more detail and time. it was slighty warmer and not raining so that was good. We went to the East side gallery.. and now that i say that when at the east side gallery walking along looking at all the grafitti BAM blue sky turns black thunder rolls in a hail comes a pouring down! that was fun. We then headed to the Jewish memorial and read all about some facts and saw horrid photos. One was of a man literally bulldozing a pile of dead bodies in a concentration camp. it was disgusting. And there were diary excerpts from some jews. and then some stories of some of the families. After that we walked to the German political building and then the berlin gate. Cant remember its actual name but hey.. ive been getting so much information i cant keep it all in there.

Prague was next. Our first morning we woke up and it was snowing and snow = freezing.! We till persisted and did a free 4 hour walking tour. Saw the astronomical clock. and i cant remember the rest cos i was so focused on trying to warm up my vital organs.
Sorry if its getting less descriptive im just conscious of the time as i have unlimited but there is only one computer in this hostel and i dont want to hog it.
From Prague Bianca and i took a detour and visited her cousin. It was a bit out so we caught a train. She put us up in a fancy hotel and we had room service and watched czech tv. very fun. Some of the polish channels are dubbed but get this.... with only one voice.. for every single character. weird!! As biancas couins boyfriend plays ice hockey for czech we went to his game. it was very confusing but awesome none the less. Then yesterday we trained it back to prague then caght a bus here. To Cesky Krumlov. A little castle town in the Czech Republic. Its not as cold which is good but the astle is litereaally the only thing to do here so we went today. and as its sunday not many of the shops are open either. but we leave tomorrow so we are just relaxing in the cool hostel. We are sleeping in the lofts and man its cool. Not small lofts like Conwy 😊 but enough for dorms. It is so cheap in the czech republic! i had dinner last night. a baguette fries and orange juice and water all for 170 Karunas.. whcih translates to 7 euro 😊 YAY! but i guess ill make up the money in Paris :S eek.
ill be travelling alone in 2 weeks so im excited for that.. then WALES!

Advertisement



18th October 2009

Sounds sooooo cold
Dont worry - Melbourne is not much warmer at the moment. You have got to see a lot of Europe which is fantastic. Just think - you would have been in the last week of Uni if you stayed! Keep enjoying it. :) Thommo
21st October 2009

Loooovely
Sounds like you're having a fantastic time and makin the most of every opportunity (sex museum?)! LOL x
29th October 2009

Prague
Snowing in Prague ?! It made me laugh xD I can't remember the last time I saw a white Prague. The Old Town square is beautiful in winter before Christmas. There is always a huge tree in the middle of it, lights everywhere and plenty of shops around. And on New Year's Eve when you're standing on Charles bridge, you can see a magnificent fireworks over the river. I can recommend, really amazing. PS: regular price of lunch is about 120 crowns = almost 5 euros :P

Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb