Prague and its Architectural marvels


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Hradcany
July 16th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me and the Dancing HousesMe and the Dancing HousesMe and the Dancing Houses

Also called Fred and Ginger
Hi Everybody!
In the last few days I have seen the Dancing House, the Prague Castle, the Kriski fountain, and I took a day trip to Kutna Hora to see the bone church. Because Prague was largely undamaged in WWII many of their architectual marvels still exist.
Prague Castle is considered the largest ancient castle in the world. It has existed in some form since the 10th century. The highlight of Prague Castle is the St. Vitas Cathedral which was started in 1344 and not finished until 1929. Yes, 1929. It took them over 600 years to complete the cathedral. They even changed architectural styles in the middle of construction! Prague Castle was also the place of the second Prague defenestration (which is a Czech code word meaning: throwing people out of windows). This defenestration was one of the events leading to the 30 years war.
The Kriski fountain is a Fantasia like fountain that plays music and changes the lights and fountains in tune to the music. It is very beautiful, especially after it gets dark. I saw the 9pm-9:40pm show. It was just getting dark by the end, but even when it was light out it was beautiful. The music they played for the 9pm show was Queen: the Greatest Hits. Although they didn't play Bohemian Rhapsody, which would have been pretty awesome. I wonder if they like Bohemian Rhapsody in Bohemia?
The Ossuary - the Church of All Saints is in the middle of a Cemetery and decorated with more than 40,000 human bones. It was super creepy. Kutna Hora is an hours train ride from Prague, but it only cost about 9 dollars for a round trip ticket.
I found Prague to be a beautiful city. Everywhere you look there is some interesting looking building. It has old European charm, as well as lots of western influence.
Tomorrow I leave for Vienna!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stained glass windowsStained glass windows
Stained glass windows

inside St. Vitus
Lesser Town SquareLesser Town Square
Lesser Town Square

Not to be confused with Old town square, or new town square
Castle GatesCastle Gates
Castle Gates

The statues look like they will swoop down on anyone passing through. Not very inviting.
St. Vitus CathedralSt. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral

Located inside the castle walls, this church was built from 1344-1929.
Empty plinthsEmpty plinths
Empty plinths

The statues that used to stand here were stolen by Sweden during the 30 years war.
St. VitusSt. Vitus
St. Vitus

Notice the sudden change in architectural styles?
Harry Potter in Czech republicHarry Potter in Czech republic
Harry Potter in Czech republic

I went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It was in English with Czech subtitles.
Bone sculptureBone sculpture
Bone sculpture

An interesting cultural trend, but I don't think it will catch on.
This painting was in a nearby churchThis painting was in a nearby church
This painting was in a nearby church

the church was called 'Church of the Assumption of the Virgin' I liked the painting.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb