Croatia 14 - Novigrad sounds like somewhere in Russia so we shall call it Citta Nova


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Novigrad
May 12th 2015
Published: May 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Where in the world is Suzy the motorhome ? Novigrad - sounds Russian to me. Have we gone wrong somewhere and turned north instead of south?. No we have not . We are still in Croatia . We have passed through Slovenian no mans land and handed our passports over to the Croatian border guards who gave them a very cursory glance before handing them back without stamping them.

So lets try the Italian for Novigrad – Citta Nova . Now that sounds better. Less harsh than Novigrad. New City whichever language you use.


We are booked into a lovely campsite Camping Serina which lives up to its name. It is in the hotels grounds and is seriously massive but luckily at this time of year it is relatively quiet . We could have picked an ACSI plot for 16 euros without a sea view but when we saw the sea view we opted to pay the 10 euros extra as it seemed silly not to. What is there not to like ? Suzy is parked up on a corner plot with palm trees and overlooking the Adriatic . In fact we are only feet away from our own small beach and rock pools full of tiny fish and crabs. The sun is shining , the awning is out and we are sitting sipping wine chilling out. To our left is a quarry but it is quiet and the only noise is from the loading of the red ocean going vessel being loaded up with stone. The Lucky Star is fascinating to watch as she sinks lower in to the water and her Plimsoll line disappears. We wondered at first if she was a floating restaurant or perhaps one of those discos. Funny how you get the wrong end of the story sometimes.

The toilets are state of the art with pretty lighting and even the demountables must be the cleanest I have ever used . There is no shop on site nor any restuarant but that does not detract from what is a cracking site.


On our first night we walked from the campsite along the beach to the town. We were told it would take us 10 minutes to get there. There was much argument and disagreement over this as we passed the local football club Novigrad United and then the towns tennis courts. Glenn who hates walking said it was more than 10 minutes. I on the other hand defended the receptionist as I didn’t know from what point she was starting from and to what point she ended at . We agreed to disagree . Men and women interpret things differently . Glenn likes facts. He likes things ordered and neat and precise. I on the other hand am more airy fairy and am quite happy with approximations.


In town when we did arrive we found another lovely venetian square with campanile and church. As it was late everything was closed up. There were a large number of shops, restaurants and parks where we sat for a while before walking home.

It was a quiet night and we watched the Lucky Star sail into the sunset.


The next morning we woke early and watched as another ship approached . We guessed it was the Lucky Star but as she got closer we saw it was a different ship. This time the Daniella. She loaded stone all day sailing in the late afternoon for Chioggia. It felt rather apt that she was going to Chioggia near to Venice and was probably taking stone to shore up Venices defences. It felt as if the child Citta Nova was shoring up her mother and father Venice .


Today was washing day. There comes a point where a woman runs out of underwear and the need to find a washing machine becomes urgent so armed with a weeks supply of underwear I headed off to use the ones on site . I failed miserably with the washing machines. Sadly I couldn’t get one to work, I tried two jetons and failed. The cleaner tried one and failed and the young lad they sent over tried two and failed . I did though get into deep conversation with him about his job which he hated . He worked on reception, on car parking duties and anything else they asked him to do. As he smoked he told me he worked 7 months a year and for the remaining months he had saved enough to do nothing apart from travel a bit. He had been to London, Rome and Amsterdam. He felt he was Croatian and insisted that the Italians were only in charge of his homeland for a few years around the second world war. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that they owned it for five hundred years. I did wonder what he thought the campanile was but just smiled instead and wondered what sort of history they teach in schools in Croatia . A history to suit I guess and not necessarily the right one.

That evening we walked into town again and ate Pizza and gnocci with cheese in a quiet roadside restaurant overlooking the sea and all washed down with a good wine.


Next morning we woke again to yet another ship the Stone which again provided a morning of entertainment. What a wonderful site, Everything was perfect with the world.

Advertisement



13th May 2015

What a pleasant place...
which your blog conveyed very well. I hope the weather stays nice. I can attest to the fact the Croatia is much better with blue skies!
13th May 2015

Novigrad
I seriously love Croatia with that blue blue sky and such lovely people . Also feel a millionaire with all those kuna in my pocket. I cant find anything wrong with the country it is just perfect and now we are home we wish we were back . Loved to read about your trip . We must do the lakes as we have always missed them .
13th May 2015
Citta Nova

A seaside site--excellent!
Love these soft Italian, er, Croatian colors. And I'm with you that approximations are infinitely more fun than facts--it allows time to be elastic, which it always is.
13th May 2015
Citta Nova

italian or croatian
I love anything venetian and Croatia has it in abundance . The colours are much nicer than back home where everythign looks so drab at times. Yes I am a woman from venus who does not understand my man from mars . Good thing we are all different .
14th May 2015
The clock

Clocks a plenty
Each blog you have a great clock
14th May 2015
The clock

Tempus Fugit
I must be obsessed by time :)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb