as far south as we're going-Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
August 10th 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left you at Makarska looking at the Adriatic, up close and personal and expecting several days of quiet contemplation. Well, it was not to be. We had no sooner gotten settled and we realized that our table and chairs were in the pathway to the sea for a group of tenters. After dark, our closest neighbors put up a light that shone directly into our bedroom and secured an additional tarp thru our motor scooter rack, thus trapping us in. We were also immediately next to a neighboring campground with party central happening. Sooooo after Guy had the manager remove the light and a rather sleepless night, we decided that our 4-5 days there would be drastically cut to 2 and we left early in the morning, headed for Camp Kate south of Dubrovnik.

The only road to Dubrovnik is literally cut out of incredibly steep and jagged mountains. It looks down on the Sea and multiple villages, campgrounds, hotels, and rooms for rent, from torturous twisting roads. The access roads to those areas are single lane, steep, steep, steep roads. We were fortunate when we found our Camp Kate that the access was MH friendly and closer to the main road. Guy found a site that offered some level ground and SHADE at critical times of the day. Coming from an area of all sandy beaches, it was a surprise to see everyone wearing special shoes in the water and on the beaches. Lots of rocks and pebbles and concrete at waterside. The rocky coast literally comes right down into the beautiful azure water. In order to advertise swimming, boating, etc., many varieties of construction have facilitated entrance to the water.
Fellow campers at Plitvice Lakes had shared the name of the campsite
and the information regarding using a sea ferry to visit Dubrovnik and the islands. This was a much quicker, cooler and easier way to see the Old City as the sea ferries enter the port right at the entrance. Easy in and easy out . The ferries are small on time and give a wonderful sense of the coastal villages from the sea.. Traffic and parking reportedly being a nightmare, especially in the HEAT AND HIGH SEASON, the information was especially appreciated.

We again accessed the tourist information office, immediately outside of the Old City and found helpful maps and directions. The first ferry in left our campsite at 9:30. Then ready to start really touring, we joined the masses. Everywhere we have traveled, women are wearing dresses, well except for when they are wearing bikinis. No matter how large or small, tall or short, long or short the dress, it is definitely IN. We did some photography and found a great little cafe for lunch in an alleyway. We had been warned by a fellow camper, to avoid the big restaurants and go with a smaller type of eatery, where service is much quicker and friendlier. We did and it was.

We also enjoyed wandering thru the Lokrum Island that contains the ruins of Fort Royal and other buildings and areas for walking, climbing and a 360 degree view of the sea and the city of Dubrovnik. There is a Botanical Garden and hundreds of Peafowl. Mother peahens with their babies and peacocks strutting their stuff and acting as watch "cocks". We watched two peahens chasing a rabbit near a walkway and they even extended their feathers. In a restaurant people were feeding a beautiful peacock, as you can see. However, by the time our return boat arrived we were more than ready to get back to the MH, shower and eat cold fresh fruit.

The farmers in the flat low lying areas between mountain ranges, raise a rainbow of fruit and sell it fresh off the vines and plants in shaded stands along the highways thru their villages. We couldn't resist and have enjoyed having lots of fruit for meals.

There is certainly so much more to see and experience in this area of Croatia, but for now the excessive heat of lows in the 80sF and highs of over 100F, have helped us decide to head north back to one of our favorite areas, in the National Forest near Plitvice Lakes.

We will do laundry, some housekeeping and shopping for groceries while here and then head toward Slovenia and especially Lake Bled.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb