Pearl of the Adriatic


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 14th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Patios in Old CityPatios in Old CityPatios in Old City

One of many cafe bars in the old city of Dubrovnik
Time to write our first entry...

We arrived in Zagreb quite tired and jet lagged and did not have enough energy to visit the city that night. We stayed with some family friends who made dinner for us and treated us royally...it´s nice to see that people who are not very well off are so hospitable and welcoming.
The next day we walked the cobbled stoned streets of the dowtown core and had lunch and coffee at one of the numerous coffee shops in the area. Everywhere you look there is a patio, with elegant decor and a very chic atmospehere...It makes you wonder if people work at all because at any hour of the day and night the patios are full with people reading and siping their espressos...Zagreb struck us as a young, pretty, relaxed city. We did not see much because we were expected at another family reunion in Samobor, a quaint little town hidden at the foot of the hills surrounding Zagreb. More food, homemade wine, coffee and dessert, lots of talking and reminiscing with the family for Dalibor; we had a great time!
Back in Zagreb the next day where we took a flight to Dubrovnik.
Old ChurchOld ChurchOld Church

Churches like this one abound in Dubrovnik, besides Catholic churches there are also Jewish synagogue, Orthodox church, and Muslim mosque
In less than an hour we were there.
Dubrovnik...oh, what can I really say that will do justice to the charm of this town plunging with its magnificent towers in the blue of the Adriatic sea? The city was built in the 7th century and it was the only Eastern Adriatic city state to rival Venice. The Pearl of Adriatic as it is called (the slavic for fortress is dubrova) added its towers and walls in the 13th century as a shield against the ottoman invasions.
It is impossible not to love Dubrovnik´s narrow and shinny streets, the orange tiled houses with charming balconies and pretty flowers ,the color of the sea surrounding the city walls and the feel of old, old, old...
It is also hard not to hate the crowds of tourists that invade the city daily, flashing pictures everywhere and not leaving until they´ve slurrped the city´s soul from every stone, corner and shade...I was one of those tourists though, and I left with my piece of Dubrovik treasure, feeling content and blessed for the rest of my life...

After Dubrovnik, we felt like we needed some peace and quiet and we took the bus to Korcula, an insland 5 hours away. We will write more about that in the next couple of days.

Greetings to all and we´ll keep you posted!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th September 2007

Amazing places, beautiful memories!...and great shots ;)

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb