From Ancient Zadar to the Newest Installation


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Zadar
February 26th 2021
Published: February 26th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 26th February - From Ancient Zadar to the Newest Installation

From the 15th century, internal fights within the Croatian-Hungarian state resulted in its loss of influence in Dalmatia, and Zadar, together with much of the surrounding mainland and islands, were sold to Venice but Zadar remained the capital of Dalmatia under Venice.

In the 16th century, Turkey invaded inland Dalmatia, Zadar retreated and became the largest city-fortress in the Venetian Republic but Plague ravaged the city.



In 1699, a peace was concluded with the Turks signalling the end of war. A century later, Napoleon's armies defeated Venice, and Zadar and Dalmatia were peacefully attached to the Hapsburg Empire, only to be handed back to the French in 1805.



Under the French, Zadar enjoyed eight years of social reform until the Austrians took the city back again in 1813.
The Austrians administered the region from Zadar for the next hundred years. Museums were founded, road links improved, and the first modern city water system was completed in 1838.



The Dalmatian Parliament was founded in 1861. Peace reigned, and in 1868, some of the outer fortifications surrounding the Old Town were
dismantled, giving the southern side its present promenade. Parks were built, and cultural life prospered once more.

In 1918, the Austro-Hungarian Empire collapsed, and the 1920 treaty between Italy and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes handed a section of the coast, including Zadar, to the Italians.

Zadar remained under Italian rule until it was occupied by the Germans, then liberated by the Allies in 1944, to become part of Tito's Yugoslavia. Unfortunately, in the process, they bombed 65 percent of the city to ruins.

However, in the 1950s an enthusiastic programme of rebuilding & in the 1960s, the importance of tourism grew.

Relative peace and prosperity began to fall apart during the 1980s when economic problems and the decay of the Socialist bloc led to national unrest. Croatia found itself in an untenable position within the borders of Yugoslavia, and Zadar in an even more uncomfortable position with a volatile Serb majority.



During the war of 1991-1995, Zadar was under siege for three months, and bombarded from positions further afield for most of the duration of the war. The population was forced underground, surviving on inadequate supplies of food and water.


Though the scars of all these wars are still visible, rebuilding is now taking place in every sense. The city has changed quite dramatically and the sun has finally come out from behind the storm clouds.

Enough about the history of Zadar



We started our tour at a new installation - At the tip of the southern quay is the 'Greeting to the Sun' a remarkable installation made out of 300 photo- sensitive glass plates that absorb daylight and transform into a wondrous light show at night.

I remember when we visited Zadar on one of our cruises walking from the ship one evening see the lights come alive.



We listened, although not so clear via the camera, to the Sea Organ, an architectural sound art object and an experimental musical instrument, which plays music by way of sea waves and tubes located underneath a set of large marble steps.



In the middle of the 2nd century BC, the Romans began to gradually invade the outlying lands, and a hundred years later, probably during the reign of Julius Caesar, Zadar finally became a Roman colony.

Strolling along
the beautiful promenade we arrived at the Roman ruins.

The biggest monument of the Roman period is in the middle of the old city, just next to the Church of St Donatus, you are allowed to walk through the ruins.



Standing tall just along from the ruins, looking much the worse for wear since it has been standing for many centuries in the open is a pillar, it was a place where accused/ guilty were chained to be mocked, humiliated and whipped. Most times, the whole city would stop by to witness this spectacle. That is why this was called the Pillar of Shame.



This was the first time the virtual guide had given a tour, it all went well by the feedback so hopefully there will be more tours in Zadar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement






Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb