Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
November 5th 2005
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

ZagrebZagrebZagreb

the view leaving the train station
After Slovenia we headed to Croatia; Zabreb, Split and then Dubrovnik.
Only stayed in Zagreb one day, took the night train there, and then another night train to Split.
Zagreb was nothing to write home about.
Split was beautiful and on the ocean, which was nice to see after being in a landlocked country for so long. Lots of history, ancient ruins and stuff like that. People seemed to be over it, not too happy to see foreigners there, which is strange because Split is a pretty major tourist spot, and they were more than happy to take my money. But the scowl to smile ratio was still much better than prague.
Took a ferry from Split to Dubrovnik, Mike got off the ferry at the first stop to get back to Split where he was catching a plane back to Prague. I continued on. That morning, we got up early to catch the ferry, not realizing how bad the weather was. The wind was blowing hard and it was raining like a mofo, so we got completely soaked on the walk/run to the ferry. So the rest of the time on the ferry i had to leave all my stuff on the backs of chairs to try and dry it, plus shoeless to let them dry. Luckily by the end of the 8 hr cruise the shoes were dry. Got off the ferry in dubrov. and was greeted by a million locals who were trying to rent the newly arrived tourists a room in their homes. I was coerced by this 80 yr old woman named mila bogdonavich. she just kept saying "dobro, dobro, dobro, super, super" and insisted on pulling my bag to her place. she was pushing people aside as she lead me to her house. i tried to tell her there's a park where i'm from with the same name, but she didn't get it. at her place, she pulled out some kind of home made liquor and poured two shots. then she pulled out grapes, bread, and some sardines. i tried to get the "vegetarian" thing accross to her, but she wasn't pickin up what i was throwin down. to prove to me that the sardine was good she ate one herself, ripping it in half and eating it, that didn't convince me i should eat it too.
went out to see dubrovnik, returned around 10pm, who's there you ask? mila, waiting for me with more bread and grapes and juice, it was very nice of her but i was kind of over it.
anywho, it was an interesting experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

ZagrebZagreb
Zagreb

time to rebuild?
SplitSplit
Split

finally, the ocean!
SplitSplit
Split

ruins of diocletian's summer palace.
SplitSplit
Split

ruins of diocletian's (roman emperor) summer palace.
SplitSplit
Split

on the ferry from split to dubrovnik
SplitSplit
Split

on the ferry from split to dubrovnik
SplitSplit
Split

on the ferry from split to dubrovnik
SplitSplit
Split

on the ferry from split to dubrovnik
SplitSplit
Split

first views of dubrovnik
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

the room i stayed in, mila bogdonavich's place
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

outside of old town
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

inside old town
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

inside old town


6th November 2005

Next Time
So you know, I'm coming next time, right?
9th November 2005

ferry
did you pull the can i see the wheelhouse, i work on a ferry bullshit,i know you did and know the crew was like oh great another idiot that wants to drive the boat.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb