Split, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday in Split everything is closed except the restaurants and grocery stores. We took the advice of our waitress at the Adriana during breakfast and drove south of Split about 30 min to go to the beach. We found the perfect spot right near the San Antonio Hotel. We found a place that had small pebbles that was slightly inclined and laid our new Croatia beach towels there. We got in the very salty Adriatic Sea often because it was warm. You can sit in the water on the pebbles and it is really pleasant. Because it was Sunday and all of the shops are closed we decided to go check out the wine region Kastela. The Frommer’s guide had mentioned this area of interest because of it being the place of the origin of the zinfandel grape. We drove all over Kastela a very small town. Everyone had grape vines in their front yard but we never really saw anything resembling vineyards at home. We stopped at a market Getro and purchased 6 bottles of wine. Plavac Mali and Droljenak Kastelanski are wines of the region and maybe zinfandels. After we were done wine shopping we headed back to the hotel, showered and headed out for dinner. We ate near the main square and had seafood pasta. It was delicious. We had gelato of course. We went to the ferry station to check out going to Ancona, but all of the ferries were at least 4 hours and left at night. So we decided to drive to northern Croatia to Opatija, Pula and Trieste, Italy. We had to find an internet café because the hotel doesn’t have internet. We found internet 100 a little room on the 4th floor of this old building. Jon had his own computer and I used one of theirs. There computer keyboard is slightly different with the “z” and the “y” in different places. Our friends Fabio and Jessica gave us some recommendations for Trieste, Fabio’s hometown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SplitSplit
Split

The Adriana hotel


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb