On our way to Split, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 1, 2007
We drove to a little town called Stari Grad (Old Town) and put the car on a big ferry headed to Split. It was a 2 hr ferry ride. While we were on the ferry we passed though a very narrow strait of two islands. As we were coming into Split hanging out on the outside deck there was a dark cloud over the city and there were the most amazing bolts of lightning every few minutes and then you would hear booms of thunder. It was a truly amazing sky. We got back into our car and drove off the ferry into Split. The sky opened up and huge drops of rain pounded our little Fiat Punto. The search for the hotel Adriana began. We knew it was on the main walking promenade, The Riva. It was pouring rain and then as soon as we had the map and umbrellas and knew where to go the rain stopped and it was clear, sunny and still warm.
We checked into the Hotel Adriana. It is a very nice hotel with an elegant nautical theme. There is AC although the temp here is pleasant. Unfortunately, there is no internet. We showered and walked down the Riva to Diocletian’s Palace. This Roman Emperor began building his palace in 245A.D. The Cathedral of St. Domnius is inside the Palace. We saw on bride leaving and another getting married in the church. We climbed the bell tower which had a very tiny stairwell. The view of Split from the top was wonderful. We had a pivo (beer) in the main square and saw the crazy swallow birds that are all over Croatia. We had a yummy dinner at our hotel and then walked the Riva. There are so many people walking the Riva from 8pm to late into the evening there are people just strolling and eating gelato everywhere. The moon was full, large, low and glowing yellow orange. It was a beautiful night in Split and another fantastic travel day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sunny SplitSunny Split
Sunny Split

The Main Square in Split
The clock tower in SplitThe clock tower in Split
The clock tower in Split

The Main Square in Split


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb