Sibernik - Oldest Croatian Town on the Adriatic sea


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Sibenik
September 12th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

To avoid the traffic in Trogir this morning, we left early at 7.45am. Having reached our southernmost point on our Croatian Coast odyssey, it was time to start heading back up the coast again. Instead of taking the inland freeway, we chose to take the scenic coastal road, which has been compared to the Pacific Coast Highway of California.



First stop was the picturesque town of Primosten, which is located between Trogir and Sibenik. In it’s earliest times, Primošten was situated on the islet close to the mainland. During the Turkish invasions in 1542, the islet was protected by the walls and towers and a draw bridge connected it to the mainland. When the Turks retreated, the draw bridge was replaced by the causeway and in 1564 the settlement was named Primošten. The town is built on a hill and is dominated by the Parish Church of St. George which was built in 1485 and restored in 1760.



We headed straight for a waterfront Cafe for breakfast and coffee, followed by a cliff top walk around the perimeter of Primosten. We then visited the Church of St George, and returned to the Alfa to continue our journey to our next destination of Sibenik. There were some last minute stops along the way to capture stunning views of tiny islands against the backdrop of the deep blue Adriatic Sea.



After arriving in Sibernik, we found a waterfront cafe to eat lunch.We had arrived in the more modern part of Sibenik, and we were a bit underwhelmed. It reminded us a little of Split. When we located our accommodation, however, it completely changed our view of Sibenik. Our apartment is located just above the Old Town, with views of the imposing St Michael’s Fortress towering over us and the Cathedral of St James below us, with a vista of the Adriatic Sea just past the Cathedral. A great place to relax on our garden terrace.



We headed straight for the beach just below our apartment to cool off after a warm day. The water was cool and refreshing after a hot day, even if the beach was pebbly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb