Tales from Hvar


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
July 19th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What?!What?!What?!

Dude - not my fault it's blue...
After feeling to relaxed and comfortable on Vis, we were sad to leave our little bit of paradise. With backpacks firmly in place, we set off on the early Tuesday ferry to Hvar.

Lonely Planet describes Hvar as 'fast becoming the choice for the swanky international jetsetting crowd'

Our first impressions of Hvar, was a little more wanky than swanky.

But then again, it might have been the heat, the heavy backpacks, the sudden appearance of chain stores like 'Lush', the ridiculous bus timetable, the cost of the left luggage facility and the hoards of tourists in Hvar town that was making me a bit less than chipper.

Due to the bus timetable (bus leaves 10 minutes BEFORE the ferry arrives - next bus... 4 hours later) we spent the day looking around Hvar Town and checking out the sights. While Hvar town was quite pretty, it was also horrendously crowded and the nearest swimming beaches weren't too appealing. The eating places did look lovely though and there was lots of cafes and alleyways so I can see why it's so popular.

By the afternoon we caught the hair raising bus over to Jelsa and found
Jelsa Old Town 2Jelsa Old Town 2Jelsa Old Town 2

On Hvar Island.
our pre-booked guest house. We jumped into the shower and had a nap. Half-way through our lovely rest, a deep drumming sound made its way into my brain. We later found that the sound was from the 'Jelsa's newest entertainment venue' ie - a lounge bar. Location? Right over the back fence. Unfortunately the music started everyday at about 3 pm and wound down sometime around 4 am. Goody. The only reason we stayed at this place was the price and the fact that the owner had a little kitten only a few weeks old. Although by night 3 we were both starting to question our logic!

Apart from the sweaty and sleepless nights, we had an enjoyable time in Jelsa.

The ice cream was amazing. There are two ice cream cafes in the main street that serve nothing but ice cream and coffees. The bigger ice creams were meal sized and one I ordered was bigger than my head. Chris and I ate one everyday. Our theory was that we were sweating heaps so we therefore had to replace the weight we were losing..

We went walking in the evenings and spotted little bats flittering through
Jelsa village Jelsa village Jelsa village

On Hvar Island.
the air at dusk. We also discovered another funky relaxing bar amongst the olive trees that served up great cocktails. Unlike the bar behind our fence, the music was mellow so we spent a few evenings there in the company of a Singapore Sling and a Pink Lady. Mmmmm...

Once again we hired a scooter (Do NOT hire scooters from evil Antonio in the main street. The scooters are rubbish and he was a total prick - sorry, can't think of a better word) we headed off (VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y) up and around the coast to find a beautiful secluded beach. We were in luck.

U M Stiniva (Little Stiniva) was absolutely stunning. The clearest, crystal water that felt beautifully chilled. Unfortunately, no photos of this little bit of paradise as we couldn't fit the camera AND the beach towels on the rubbish scooter. You'll just have to hunt this one down for yourself!

We also made a day trip over to the island of Brac and spent a fantastic day swimming non-stop at the famous Zlatni Rat beach. Once again, no photos of this one as we didn't take the camera, but you can see what it
Relaxing at Jelsa 2Relaxing at Jelsa 2Relaxing at Jelsa 2

On Hvar Island
looks like by following the link. It looks more impressive as a birds-eye-view anyway. www.croatia-beaches.com or google it.

After another hell raising bus ride to the ferry terminal, we joined thousands of other backpackers from Hvar Town and boarded the ferry for the long ride to Dubrovnik.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Beating dehydrationBeating dehydration
Beating dehydration

On Hvar Island
Jelsa Old TownJelsa Old Town
Jelsa Old Town

On Hvar Island.
Jelsa Old Town 3Jelsa Old Town 3
Jelsa Old Town 3

On Hvar Island.


Tot: 0.443s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 34; qc: 141; dbt: 0.1369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb