Weather improving


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Brac
June 6th 2009
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Hat The Hat The Hat

Safely rescued in the gale.
The weather improved as we finally made our way to eat at Triton in a protected cove on Lastovo. We practiced the Hat-overboard drill and as you can see both the hat and the band from Ecuador survived the drill.

On the history front we visited the Vela Spila archeological site, a cave 20 minutes walk above Vela Luka on Korcula. The cave has been continuously inhabited since 15,000 BC and was in need of a fresh coat of paint! Excavated objects, including the skeletons from four graves from the Stone Age, the oldest burial grounds found in Croatia, are exhibited in a small museum in Vela Luka. The hillsides on many of the islands are terraced with many ancient walls and are now home to olive groves.

The wind has been gaining strength, fortunately from the SE so our travel north has been quite fast. We dropped anchor in Vinogradisce for a swim yesterday but decided to move on the the ACI marina at Palmizana on the north side of the Island of St Klement in light of the heavy wind warning.

The weather man was right again and we woke this morning to 25-30 knot winds. Our passage from Hvar to Brac took only 2 hours in a 30-35knt wind with gusts registering up to 45knts and 3-4m seas. Very exciting to say the least, but Thetis handled it well. With the mast furling main we were able to have a minimal sail area and with the jib showing only a third we flew along at 7-8 knots and surfed the occasional wave.

The Croatians have discovered that the tourists are a great source of revenue and oblivious to the world economic recession keep jacking up the prices. However I did buy a pair of leather shoes in Vela Luka for $30 and felt much better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Vela LukaVela Luka
Vela Luka

From trail to cave
Vela Spila caveVela Spila cave
Vela Spila cave

Home sweet home


21st June 2009

Father's Day
Hey Dad, Happy Father's Day!!!! I hope you are enjoying your second two weeks on the boat.

Tot: 0.412s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb