Zagreb July 14


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Zagreb today on schedule - at 12 noon - and stepped out of our train to an unbelievable heat! I couldn’t get internet at the hotel so I don’t know what the temperature was but it felt like 40 celsius. After a fairly long and steamy tram ride we arrived at our hotel area. (Trams here come in two flavours: the new modern air-conditioned variety and the old somewhat beaten up window open if you are lucky variety.) We got the latter on our route! The hotel is very comfortable and central air makes the room nice and cool, thankfully. After a shower we took the tram again back to the centre of town and did a little exploring. It was too hot to walk much so we stopped for lunch and a beer at a very nice Italian style roadside place - very simple and delicious pizza with olive oil, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella and a salad . We then went back to the hotel for a much needed siesta and woke up around 9 pm! The guide book recommended a restaurant not far from our hotel so we walked there and arrived around 10:15 - just in time to order before the kitchen closed. This was an amazing place - the tables are in a garden that is enclosed with fences and ceilings made of wood and straw. Trees and vines are growing up between tables. It was much cooler by then and we enjoyed the place and the food (and the Croatian white wine) very much! We then walked back to our hotel around midnight very satisfied. Our plan for Wed is to get going very early - around 7:30 to get some good touring in before it gets too hot. I will update with pics later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.594s; Tpl: 0.075s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.4535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb