Be driven on the edge of a clift


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
September 2nd 2006
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

St. mark's churchSt. mark's churchSt. mark's church

Coat of arms of Zagreb, and the-three-kingdom of Croatia, Slovenia, Dalmatia
Left Split after a four days stay with lots of walking and few day-trips. Went to the bank to exchange some money and there was no commission added on the posting exchange rate. Trying to make a phone call home in the States but the rate from the post office was too expensive so I stopped by internet cafe to check it out vs. buying a phone card.

Got the bus ticket to Zagreb and it was going to be a long drive. It was supposed to be an express bus with very very few stops along the route. Being on the weekend, we did not have much luck as the highway was congested with holiday makers who was heading home, and at times, the bus driver made "illegal" move and drove the bus on the shoulder of the highway right next to the safety rail by the deep clift below. I was holding my breath to hope the impatient driver knew what he was doing because I did not want the bus be tipped over to the clift. So it was an experience on seeing your life may be ended quickly and be jeopadized. Yet, to say the least, I had faith on the driver's driving skill.

Arrived in Zagreb in the afternoon without hotel reservation thinking some Croatian elderly women would have waited at the bus station to take you to their home, but it was no such a "service" there. Maybe Zagreb is different from coastal cities like Split or Dubrovnik. Next option would be a hostel but finding ways around the bus station and to the hostel was proved a challenging task, especially with my backpack. Yet, I managed and finally arrived in the hostel. Got the room, and to my disappointment, the room was in very very bad shape so the common shower and toilet. There were grafitti everywhere left on the wall, on the frame of the bed ...at least there was new, clean sheet.

Zagreb greeted my arrival with old, unexciting asmosphere of a neglect kind of feeling. Afterall, this was not the most thriving economic boom part of the world. Yet, despite all of that, I managed to venture out to the center city and checked out the sites. It was compact and nothing seemed exceptional. The feeling was mutual. I did not feel exciting and walking around town seemed just like a normal person not like an eagered traveler who was in his task trying to take in all the sights and excitement of the emerging capital city of Zagreb. To the least, the tourist office was helpful and got some good brochures on walking tours.

Walked to the morning open-air market in Zagreb in the center. It was bustling. Locals and travelers alike can buy fresh produces, fruits, souvernirs on stands. The market quickly became desserted a few hours later, even before noon.

Spend some time in the Zagreb cathedral, a gothic style exterior and is the famous landmark can be seen almost everywhere in Zagreb.

The roof tiles of St. Mark's church are laid in display the coat of arms of Zagreb, and three-kingdom Croatia, Slovenia, Dalmatia.

Next stop Slovenia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 112; dbt: 0.1065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb