Channel Islands - Guernsey


Advertisement
Jersey's flag
Europe » Channel Islands » Guernsey
August 21st 2015
Published: September 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

21st August



Alderney Island – Guernsey 24nm



Departed 1400 – had to wait for the tide as the current that rips through the Alderney Swinge is extremely strong...that is on the east side of the island...on the west side is the Alderney Race – just as strong currents. We got out from the bay and had a shuddering in the prop. We've had this a while but it usually stops once you put the boat in fwd and reverse a few times, however this time we couldn't stop it. So, we turned around and picked up another mooring. On the way in, I was getting the dive gear ready so Phil could go down and grease the prop. As we'd had this problem for a bit, we thought this would fix it. However, when Phil got down there, he found a long piece of netting caught around the prop. It pulled off easily and...still dripping wet, with dive gear strewn all over the boat, we quickly departed again at 1500 in order to catch the favourable currents in the swinge. We really didn’t have much time to spare by this time and towards the end of the swinge it was quite rough already. We all put on our life jackets and were tossed around a little bit, but that didn’t last long. Just until we’d cleared the end of the island. We had to motor as what little wind there was...was ‘on the nose’. Not a long trip though and were tied up in the ‘outer harbour’ at St Peter Port by 1900. We couldn’t get into the marina proper as there is a sill that you have to cross to get in...will have to wait till high tide tomorrow morning. Never mind....we’ll go out for dinner instead. Went to a place called ‘the crow’s nest’. A lovely, lovely dinner...shouted by John & Wendy!!







22nd August



Into the marina proper this morning, moved about 0800 to the ‘waiting pontoon’ and from there was guided in by a marina guy in his dory. Very good service – tell you where to tie up and guide you in. Did this yesterday too, met us as we were coming in and showed us where we could tie up..according to our draft.



Thurs 26th



Happy 20th Wedding Anniversary John & Wendy. So glad we could share this day with them. It wasn’t planned that way when they originally booked their tickets, but yay...worked out that way. So Wendy bought John a bell from the bell foundry they visited previously and John bought Wendy an emerald and diamond ring (emerald being the stone for 20yr anniversary). It’s just exquisite. We had champagne breakfast and pancakes – good way to start the day!! Then for dinner we went out to the Crow’s Nest again as we all loved the food there. Unbeknown to them, Phil and I had bought some decorations for the table and set it up earlier in the day...so a little surprise to end the day!! John also had another surprise up his sleeve – matching earrings for wendy!! Ahh the romance!!



Fri 27th



Been a few rainy days, so haven’t ventured far from the boat. Have explored the area of St Peter Port, been out to Castle Cornet where we watched the firing of the noon day gun. Dick – the OCC port captain took us around the island and organised 2 fresh local crabs for us for dinner. They’re the same size as our mud crabs, but the meat is sweeter and the shells are tougher. Took Phil and John ages to get all the meat out. Fresh bread and crab sangas for dinner. Couldn’t want much more!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb