The Battlefields of France


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders
May 14th 2011
Published: May 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Australian MemorialAustralian MemorialAustralian Memorial

This is a Villers Brettoneux and names all those killed or missing that have no known grave. It was significantly damaged during the 2nd world war and had to be repaired
Sorry to all those who have been hanging out for the next installment. Bit nackered so decided to go to bed early the last few nights. While writing this, we are in Belgium having spent a couple of days around the Somme in France.

After seeing all the main sights in Paris we took a train on Wednesday afternoon (11th May) to Amiens. This towns main claim to fame is its near destruction in WW1 and the preservation of its Gothic Cathedral (very impressive). Amiens really was just a way to get out of Paris to hire the car for the rest of our trip.
We picked up our VW Golf just outside Amiens on Thursday and I had to learn to drive a left hand vehicle on the right hand side of the road really quickly ie. drive out of the car park around the corner into my first roundabout (going anti clockwise of course) into traffic including a number of trucks. If it wasn't for that extra drink I had with breakfast, I dont think I would have held my nerve. Anyway, apart from the odd mistake I haven't hit anyone (although have been tooted a few times).
Lochnager CraterLochnager CraterLochnager Crater

The Lochnagar crater was created by the allies tunneling underground and packing the mine with 24 tons of ammonal. This caused such an explosion that it pushed the earth 4000 feet into the air and injured some of the Allies standing back at what they considered was a "safe" distance.
I did make an offer to Jane to wear one of my incontinence pads, but she preferred to risk it.
Jane found her great uncles name on the wall at the Australian Memorial at Villers Brettoneux along with the relative of a friend. Both their names were only a couple of metres apart on the wall. The wall listed the names of those Australian soldiers where there is no known grave.
Since then we have visited numerous military cemeteries and are overwhelmed by the sheer loss of life. In some battles nearly 10,000 killed in a single day!
Stayed in a great little B&B in Pozieres. Its a town of some 300 permanent residents. The B&B is run by the local Mayor Bernard and his wife Marie. They were the nicest people. Living at the B&B for 3 months was Barry and his wife Vonne from Coffs Harbour. Barry has an interest in battles that occurred around Pozieres and is trying to raise money to support activities in the area that showcase the Aussie involment. He has spent a few months in Pozieres every year for the last 3 -4 yrs..... so as you can imagine he knows everyone. He
A small DrinkA small DrinkA small Drink

Out to tea with Barry & Vonne
took us around and introduced us to a few of the locals and even convinced one of them to drive us all to a pub in Albert for a meal and a drink. Barry speaks some french intermingled with English which the locals seem to understand (I suspect because their English is better then Barry's french and they are too polite to say anything). Jane ordered a well done steak that came out bleeding so much that it need a bandaid. Now either the french cook couldnt bear to over cook a perfectly good steak or Barry's explanation to the waiter in french was not tres bon!
We have spent the last 24 hours in Ieper (Ypres)........ but thats a story for another time

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb